Closed end bog oak jr. Celticus

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan Masshardt

Dan Masshardt

This is a sample of the wood available for a group buy. Do you think it's too light in color?

Attachments

• image-3879206092.jpg
    image-3879206092.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 285
  • image-4154880849.jpg
    image-4154880849.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 196
  • image-1491174326.jpg
    image-1491174326.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 244
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Too light?? Looks pretty dark to me. Lin

I guess it's fine. Just seems lighter that my last one though.

I just don't want people who get in on the buy to potentially be disappointed since I'm organizing it.

Here's the last one for comparison.

Attachments

• image-651323213.jpg
    image-651323213.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 205

Argo13

Dan,

It might be a shade lighter. I am not sure I would have said that had you not made the suggestion. It is another great looking pen. I'd still be interested in the buy.

Jason

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Dan that is another nice pen. You almost look like you know what your doing:) Mike
I've learned how to fake it. The other side of the pen has a huge chunk missing. Haha. JK.

You guys crack me up!

Anyway. Dan: I love the pens! The blanks are very nice. If you are done a group buy and its not too late, I'll go for 5.

The combination of blank and kit is very nice. I also like the sheen! A mirror finish is not needed for this combination.

NIce work.

plano_harry

I am good with it. Will probably even try your finish. Looks like I will need some of those kits as well. Great look! On with the buy!

SteveG

Dan, I am fine with the color. Some other that I have has black and some lines of dark brown, that look real good. I noticed in your pics here, that the prominent surface texture typical of oak was not evident. Did your finish fill some of that, or are these just that way, fairly smooth?

Dan Masshardt

Dan, I am fine with the color. Some other that I have has black and some lines of dark brown, that look real good. I noticed in your pics here, that the prominent surface texture typical of oak was not evident. Did your finish fill some of that, or are these just that way, fairly smooth?

They are NOT that way. In fact, this one had some very open grain.

What I did was after each grit, I wiped off some of the dust but didn't blow it out. Then I used a drop of pens plus before moving on to the next grit. This filled in the grain nicely. I did not use any pens plus after 600 and finished with ren wax for a matte finish that looks and feels like big oak.

southernclay

Great looking pen, great on all aspects. I like the closed end much better! The finial doesn't seem to mesh too well with the rest of the kit on the other pen so the closed end adds a ton to it IMO.... although both are keepers. Great job on the group buy, if you continue to do more I will catch one down the road or help out with it one day if needed

Dan Masshardt

Great looking pen, great on all aspects. I like the closed end much better! The finial doesn't seem to mesh too well with the rest of the kit on the other pen so the closed end adds a ton to it IMO.... although both are keepers. Great job on the group buy, if you continue to do more I will catch one down the road or help out with it one day if needed

I don't care for black enamel threads. This gets rid of half of them.

And you can shape it however you want. I'm going to experiment with thicknesses as I do more of these.

walshjp17

Well done, Dan. I have coupled Keith's IBO with Jimmy's Celticus and Celticus Jr.components in the past and they a are truly spectacular combo.

Nice work on the closed-end. I believe I will do that on my next Celticus/IBO pen.

Top Bottom