Closed End Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Poppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy

My first closed end Baron, turned with out a mandrel,thanks Russ and all of you who contributed to this method.

Image Insert:
2007113153857_P1010083%20(528%20x%20396).jpg

Thanks for looking and comments welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kirkfranks

Very nice Bob,
I like the shape on the bottom. I also like the modified centerband.
2 questions:
What is the wood?
Can you say more about the no mandrel method?

Poppy

Kirk, the wood is buckeye burl, as to the no mandrel method here is where I got the idea from.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24156&SearchTerms=how,to,turn,a,closed,end,pen

This worked so well for me that I consider it a no brainer, why go out and buy several mandrels to be able to turn other style kits.
As to the modification of the center band I had borrowed some parts from this kit some time ago and and just threw it back in the bin.I decided that I can save this kit yet so I made a aluminum washer from a coke can, reason for the modification and also the closed end.

Also thanks to Gerryr his comments and design had alot to do with this.

Thanks for the comments

gerryr

Well, I'm glad the wood mandrel worked for you. It's hard to tell exactly what you did with the CB, but it looks like you used the black ring and then made another to go above it, correct? You don't need either of those trim rings. The Baron cap is long enough that they can both be eliminated with no fear of ruining the tip of a nib or rollerball refill. As to the shape, I think my first closed end pen may have been as big at the closed end, maybe bigger and it was lopsided, thanks to a catch. I believe the closed end pens look better when the closed end is smaller in diameter than the cap. To me, it looks off balance otherwise. Browse some of the sites that sell the nigh end pens and you won't see any where the closed end is larger than the cap.

All that said, you did a great job on your first closed end pen, a lot better than I did. Just keep at it, they get easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom