Closed End AZ Jade

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kaspar

Kaspar

I'm not all that impressed with most of the newer Tru-stones, but I do like this one. I wish the manufacturer could make the yellow more of a gold metal flake, and then these blanks would really pop, but I do think it makes a classy pen.

Since this was something of an experiment, I used an Apollo Elite FP kit that I really had no use for. Both barrels have stepped down tube sizes, narrower toward the ends. It was done between centers, and without any closed end mandrels. I actually still have a center hole in each end to fill in, but I'm not sure what I'll use yet.

I am really pleased with how tight the tolerances are on this one. I am beginning to understand how to get good accuracy from a metal lathe. I'll put up a capped picture sometime and you can see for yourself.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CV Wood

That is a wonderful looking Pen. I am getting inspired to try new things see what fine work so many of you do.

bitshird

Eric, great looking pen, I've heard that the Arizona Jade is about the hardest of the Pliable Tru Stone blanks there is to turn, yours looks WOW. A metal lathe with bits sharp and shaped to a 20 degree rake and front angle will work wonders, if you use the lateral feed and dial in with the cross slide, it's amazing what you can do. Try and figure a way to mount a dial indicator to the saddle that will read off of the cross slide. I know it sounds like cheating, but as far as I'm concerned to process is about making as near perfect pen as possible. you can get a cheap dial indicator from HF for under 10.00 and a mighty mag base for about 15 on eBay, I have a piece of Aluminum angle mounted in one of the slots on the right side of the cross slide in front of the tool post. we use it for doing the tangs on our tools, but it also works good for doing pens. It's nice to caliper a barrel and see you have to take .006 off so just dial in .003 and let her rip.

seamus7227

Job well done! Thats an excellent choice of materials for that gold as a match, I would love to see the ends of the pen as well and look forward to seeing the pic you are gonna post of it put together!

Kaspar

Thanks all!

Amazing work! How did you do the finish?

320 Finkat sanding paper to level everything out and round off the ends, then MM (through the seventh pad), Novus Three (use a good amount and really burn it in; makes the last two Micromesh pads superfluous) Novus Two, Ultragloss and Ren wax.

However, I have a regimen that many might not have the patience for. I used to do the polishing very fast, but after it was all put together, I found imperfections that I didn't notice when it was wet. So now, every MM pad (especially the first) gets at least two minutes. Then I clean the blank, dry it and check it. Lather, rinse, repeat all the way through the Ren wax.

In the case of this one, the pen end was very straightforward, but cap was more complicated. You have to respect that sand paper and even the first three MM pads, can actually remove quite a bit of stock, so first I get it all smoothed out through the first three MM pads. Also, I had a join that I had to be careful not to round off, so the best way was simply do the cap body with the finial lightly glued in. I started with the coupler end, and polished it, then did the cap body, and then I debonded the glue, separated the finial and did it.

Eric, great looking pen, I've heard that the Arizona Jade is about the hardest of the Pliable Tru Stone blanks there is to turn ...

It is very hard, but I haven't every tried to turn it on a wood lathe so I can't say if it's harder than the others. AZ Sil recommends AZ Jade be turned only with a metal lathe, so maybe it is.

Thanks for the pointers. I'm doing pretty much all of that now. It's very accurate pen.

Capped piccie soon.

SteveG

This pen is STUNNING. I am at the "use the kit" level, and have to devote ALL shop time to making a living. IF I ever retire, I will definitely venture into work of this type. Has anyone successfully turned this material (Az Jade) on a wood lathe?

Toni

Eric as always your talent is incredible!! Great photos amazing pen Love the colors I do agree with you about the yellow veins being gold it would do so much more!

Top Bottom