Closed end Apollo palm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Aces-High

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
You did a great job; very nice shape and wonderful blank. Also, contrary to some, I like turning Palm. I have 4 in progress now with Red Palm as modified center band accents.

I like closed ends as they are a bit of a challenge, and a very different appearance. But, not as practical without being able to post.

magpens

It is true that those PSI kits may leave things to be desired. . Depending on which kit :

1) the overall design may not be aesthetically pleasing, particularly at the clip end, and at the center band,

2) the fit of the pieces may not be optimal,

3) the instructions may in places be incorrect, especially as regards dimensions, hole depths, etc.

4) the end cap above the clip may be too high ... there is a brass threaded insert which I shortened on my metal lathe and then made the hole correspondingly more shallow. . Shortening the insert may require also shortening the mating metal piece.

You have done a nice job, Jason. . Consider my point (4), though.

Last edited:

Aces-High

It is true that those PSI kits may leave things to be desired. . Depending on which kit :

1) the overall design may not be aesthetically pleasing, particularly at the clip end, and at the center band,

2) the fit of the pieces may not be optimal,

3) the instructions may in places be incorrect, especially as regards dimensions, hole depths, etc.

4) the end cap above the clip may be too high ... there is a brass threaded insert which I shortened on my metal lathe and then made the hole correspondingly more shallow. . Shortening the insert may require also shortening the mating metal piece.

You have done a nice job, Jason. . Consider my point (4), though.

Thanks Mark and Mal.

Mal your point are well made and I will keep them in mind as I turn my next one.

I think you did a great job, but even so I was thinking what Mal mentioned in point #4 while I was looking at the pics. The piece above the clip looks just a bit long. No fault of yours at all, but by design. It's still a fine looking pen, I'd be very happy if I made it.

Top Bottom