Closed End Antler Presents

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from micah

Status
Not open for further replies.

micah

Just finished up a couple closed end antler Barons (Black Titanium hardware) and wanted your guys opinions. So, what do you think?:)

Sorry for the crappy pictures. I don't have my booth setup all the way right now.....:(

closedbaronsbl7.jpg

antlerbaronsoa7.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

micah

Originally posted by bjackman
<br />Nice, can you show us the "endgrain"?

No problem! Looking for the holes?[:D] They are there.
As all of you know that has turned antler knows, there is always a hole that runs down an antler of this size. The one on the right turned out more centered, and actually filled in nicer than the one on the left. I wasn't quite sure how to do it, so I just used antler shavings and CA.

Thanks!
Micah

dsc01747qs6.jpg

Micah,
Fantastic work... I especially like the antler.

Question for you... since I haven't ever done a closed end as long as I've been doing pens, do you just drill the depth of the tube... is there a spring in the end of the closed end? Is there a tutorial somewhere that shows how it's done... all I've seen on this site are great looking pens.

micah

Thanks everyone for the kind words! These are actually number 2 and 3 for me. I did my first one earlier this year. I'll post a picture of it.

dsc01478gq8.jpg

ozmandus, I can't remember who it was that made this graphic, but I'm sure that they wouldn't mind everyone sharing it. This is for the baron, you would just have to adjust the depths and sizes for differant pens. And yes, it does have the spring.

pinchuck1kg4.jpg

its_virgil

ozmandus,
To do a closed end pen, a blind hole is drilled to accept the tube and then a smaller hole is drilled to accept the rollerball refill and spring as shown by micah. Then you need a way to hold the closed end blank. One of the more popular ways is to use a pin chuck. There are several threads from the last few months as these have been very popular. Here is a link to a pin chuck, how to make one and how to use one. http://penmakersguild.com/articles/pinchuck.pdf

Also, there is an expanding chuck which holds the closed end blank available for sale from Arizona silhouette. Here is a link to that special tool: http://arizonasilhouette.com/Closed_End_Pen_Mandrel.htm

Finally, there is a way to hold the closed end blank with our standard mandrel. Here is a crude picture, but if you will email me I can send you a better drawing with some notes. I suppose I could draw it up nice and send it to Jeff for the library. This is not original with me, but I use it often and it works fine if making a pin chuck is out of the question or if purchasing the special expanding mandrels is also not a possibility. One drawback with closed end pens is if a pic chuck or expanding mandrel is used, then you need one for each size tube. But the alternative method I added will work with all kits and tube sizes, since you already have th tooling for that kit...mandrel and bushings.

Have fun and show us one when you get it done.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

200612653452_closed%20end%20mandrel.jpg

Originally posted by ozmandus

Fantastic work... I especially like the antler.

Question for you... Is there a tutorial somewhere that shows how it's done... all I've seen on this site are great looking pens.

rtgleck

Micah,

Those are great looking pens. I was working with some Antler last night and having a heck of a time. It's good to see those pens so I'm encouraged to try again tonight. Wonderful Job on them.

Thanks Don, your drawing is fine... I can figure it out from there and from the diagram that Micah sent... looks relatively simple... but it always looks easier when someone else does it.

It's been a few years, but I went to school in the 4th grade at Vernon, 3rd at Odell and 2nd at Fargo...that's not too far from Wichita Falls is it...my father was a sharecropper so we followed the crops some..
Also my great uncle lived in Electra for years.. I think that's where they filmed "The Last Picture Show".

its_virgil

ozmandus,
Vernon is 40 miles NW of Wichita Falls. The movie "The Last icture Show" was actually filmed in Archer City and Holliday. I taught school in Holliday for 33 years. When the sequel was made they came back and filmed again in Archer City and Holliday and even in wichita Falls. Small world.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by ozmandus
<br />Thanks Don, your drawing is fine... I can figure it out from there and from the diagram that Micah sent... looks relatively simple... but it always looks easier when someone else does it.

It's been a few years, but I went to school in the 4th grade at Vernon, 3rd at Odell and 2nd at Fargo...that's not too far from Wichita Falls is it...my father was a sharecropper so we followed the crops some..
Also my great uncle lived in Electra for years.. I think that's where they filmed "The Last Picture Show".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom