Closed-end *No black ring!*

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MartinPens

MartinPens

This is a new concept I am working on in an effort to eliminate the black ring used on the churchill nib coupler.

I have a tutorial for this. I will post the link to the tutorial once it is placed in the library by the powers-to-be.

I am not completely happy with the end product. However, it is a step in the right direction and is a fairly economical solution if the Statesman kit is used with Churchill tubes. (see tutorial for explanation)

Martin

Attachments

• concept-pen01.jpg
    concept-pen01.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 415
  • concept-pen02.jpg
    concept-pen02.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 349
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MartinPens

Wood info and a couple more photos

The wood is a Lace Burl Redwood. I'm including a couple more photos for detail. The tutorial is detailed with lots of photos. Still waiting for instructions on submitting the tutorial.

The shape of the pen isn't "on" yet. It is a work in progress.

Attachments

• concept-pen03.jpg
    concept-pen03.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 129
  • concept-pen04.jpg
    concept-pen04.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 163

hebertjo

Martin -

Nice job on the pen! Can you tell us how thick the wood rim is at the end of the cap? Also, do you feel that at that thickness it will not break under normal use? I did a very similar thing but the end of the cap was much thicker.

Thanks,

MartinPens

hebertjo said:
Martin -

Nice job on the pen! Can you tell us how thick the wood rim is at the end of the cap? Also, do you feel that at that thickness it will not break under normal use? I did a very similar thing but the end of the cap was much thicker.

Thanks,

It is .98mm
It seems very solid to me. The Redwood lace Burl soaked up the thin CA when I applied it inside and out. I don't have any concerns about it breaking.
The cap diameter is 15.58mm and the body diameter is 13.67mm

I will likely use this design for the look-alike cigar pens I make.

Martin

MartinPens

hebertjo said:
Thanks Martin!

Good to know that at 1mm it is still study. You have given me confidence to turn thinner!

It can depend on the type of wood too. The inside area of the cap unsupported by the nib coupler is only 2mm. Would it crack if I dropped it on the tile floor? It might.

MartinPens

Tutorial link

Very nicely done, like the recessed coupler. Will look forward to the tutorial.

Not sure how long this link will be active, but I sent the file to the library manager and posted it as a thread in that area (not sure if I was supposed to do that). The thread is still there and the file is still there.

You can find it at http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=76170

Many adjustments to be made, but I would like to see what direction it can take even if by someone other than myself.

Martin

MartinPens

The article/ tutorial has been moved from the above link into the Library under the 2011 Articles section. Open to feedback.

*I also noticed an error in the initial post. I referred to the Statesman pen as an economical solution. I meant to say Gentleman's pen. The Statesman pen is twice as much and wouldn't make much sense since most of the fancy parts are not used.*

I wish I could find a source for individual parts. I guess investing in the whole threading thing is next.

Martin

Last edited:

drgoretex

Very nice indeed! Love the sleek clipless design. Could consider doing the cap entirely in wood, no black end, or adding a matching/balancing black end on the barrel...but just a thought. Regardless, it's a beautiful pen!

Ken

Top Bottom