Close Ended Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Racer3770

Racer3770

Lately I've been trying new things when it comes to making pens. Thanks to this forum, a few of them have been successful! Here are a couple of close ended pens that I turned recently. The green Baron kit took second place in the Summer Extravaganza Advanced Kit Contest. I poured all of the blanks using Alumilite. Comments and criticism welcome. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Green_Gunmetal_Yellow copy.jpg
    Green_Gunmetal_Yellow copy.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 296
  • Green_Gunmetal_Yellow1 copy.jpg
    Green_Gunmetal_Yellow1 copy.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 297
  • Neon copy.jpg
    Neon copy.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 310
  • Neon1 copy.jpg
    Neon1 copy.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 288
  • Red_Orange_Cream copy.jpg
    Red_Orange_Cream copy.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 307
  • Red_Orange_Cream_2 copy.jpg
    Red_Orange_Cream_2 copy.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 294
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi James. Since I have met you (MPG) I feel free license to offer "critique."

First a comment: ALL THREE are excellent casts and final pens! Well done. :good:

OK... I actually like door #2, the best, door #3, second, and the award winner door #1, third (OK, a close third). :)

The profiles on each are very nice. For my taste, I wonder if the lower sections could be a bit shorter.

I may be wrong, but cast #2 (Neon) may possibly show a shadow-line that indicates you may have 1/2" of length to play with.

If that is so, I have a suggestion for you to consider: Shape the lower section 1/4" shorter. The profile is fine for me, just looks a bit long.

And if I misread the shadow line... disregard all comments above!!!

Nice to see some artistry from the next generation (sorry James, age 50 will come quickly!).

How are you mounting your closed ends?

I use a Harbor Freight transfer punch set. ($11.00 ??). Use whatever diameter you need, take it to a grinder and flatten about 1/3" of the diameter. Use a nail for the insert (ground to appropriate size). You will still have a usable disassembly set and every diameter closed-end bars you need!

Last edited:

OZturner

Spectacular Pens, James.
Great that you are also casting your own Blanks.
I also agree with Mark, that the length of the Body seems slightly disproportional compared to the length of the Caps.
Excellent Fit and Finish.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Racer3770

Hi James. Since I have met you (MPG) I feel free license to offer "critique." First a comment: ALL THREE are excellent casts and final pens! Well done. :good: OK... I actually like door #2, the best, door #3, second, and the award winner door #1, third (OK, a close third). :) The profiles on each are very nice. For my taste, I wonder if the lower sections could be a bit shorter. I may be wrong, but cast #2 (Neon) may possibly show a shadow-line that indicates you may have 1/2" of length to play with. If that is so, I have a suggestion for you to consider: Shape the lower section 1/4" shorter. The profile is fine for me, just looks a bit long. And if I misread the shadow line... disregard all comments above!!! Nice to see some artistry from the next generation (sorry James, age 50 will come quickly!). How are you mounting your closed ends? I use a Harbor Freight transfer punch set. ($11.00 ??). Use whatever diameter you need, take it to a grinder and flatten about 1/3" of the diameter. Use a nail for the insert (ground to appropriate size). You will still have a usable disassembly set and every diameter closed-end bars you need!

Thanks for the comments! The funny part is, you "ranked" my pens in reverse order of their creation (your favorite was my most recent) lol! Maybe a sign of improvement? I totally agree with your criticisms of the neon pen. That shadow is the extra length on the end of the pen. The biggest challenge for me as I was learning to make close-ended pens was measuring. I was terrified of turning it too short so I left a little extra room. The blank that I cast was a little more transparent than I thought and made my "extra room" totally noticeable.

I used a combination of Arizona Silhouette's close ended chuck (for the Baron kit) and Penn State's new grabber mandrel for the other kits. Both ways worked for me.

My next goal for these pens is to find a tasteful way to make the top end of the pen closed as well. I would like to include a clip and I just haven't found a way that I'm feeling confident enough with yet. I'll keep searching. The end goal is to go completely kitless- that goal is a long ways away for me as I'm still using a cheaper/less accurate lathe. Thanks Mark!

magpens

WOW !!!! . Those are beautiful !!!! . Congrats on your SE win !!!

Now, what kit is the yellowish pen ? . I don't recognize it ... looks like a Jr. something but the cap "centerband" throws me off.

Sappheiros

All three of those are gorgeous! If I could offer one criticism, the third pen would have looked more complete with the entire kit I feel. It would have brought the gunmetal color down to the bottom for a more complete look. I love the look of closed ended pens, though. With just such a contrasting blank and kit, it distracts the eyes.

jttheclockman

The pens came out very well and congrats on the win. Job well done. Here is my critique. I do not like to see closed end pens that come to a round no shape end. I prefer flat to match the cap end or even a 45 degree angle or some other detail on the end. Celebrate the end. Just do not cut it off. Again just my thought.

Top Bottom