Clock parts pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Si90

Si90

I bought a 2.5kg lot of watch parts of the evilbay recently and amongst the parts were some larger clock parts. I was going to use them on a box for one of my Steampunk Collection pens but I thought I would have a go at making some of them into a pen. The results are below.

I replaced the kit tubes with much heavier gauge brass tubes and brazed the gears to the tubes. I wanted to address a couple of comments regards ditching the kit parts also. This pen was really made as an exercise more than anything to see how going forward, what could be done to disguise the kit parts. The nib section, treads and finial have had all coatings removed so they are more in keeping with the brass tubes. The couplers and finial which were black are now back to there raw brass and are brazed into the tubes so as to appear as 1 piece. The centre bands were removed and the remaining piece filed down to the diameter of the tubes. The end finial was also reduced in diameter, again to match the tube diameter. Added a simple clip which although I preferred it without, it does stop it from rolling off the table.

Added the aging to it as it was difficult to braze and keep it neat enough to look nice when polished- still working on the neatness. All this as resulted in quite a hefty pen, but still quite balanced.

Not the best looking thing in the world I know but it is a bit different.

As always thanks for looking, any comments greatly appreciated, until next time.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Very cool Simon, I'll bet you have to be very carfull brazing them, those gears are pretty thin. I noticed you didn't cast it, how is the feel with the gears on the tube?

Mike

Si90

Actually Mike the gears are quite thick - may be 1mm or so, remember they are from a clock. It's why I replaced the tubes for heavier gauge so that the tube and gear heated up more evenly. I had a job on bending some of them. It feels ok in the hand. I rubbed the whole thing with fine wet and dry to take the edge off the gears as they did feel a little sharp.

bobleibo

Simon,
Certainly the assembly of this pen is quite an accomplishment, but in my opinion the "old-world" characteristic of the finish is hands down the best part. That just makes it so unique. Well done!!!
Bob

JohnU

I think its a "Masterpiece" Simon! I love how you took the watch parts a step farther adding them to your technique. I like the raw look with the precise application. It all works very well together. Great work!

Marko50

Simon, your work defies all words. You're definitely using more of your brain than the standard 10% the rest of us use! Holy Cow! Where do you come up with these amazing designs?? Kudos, my friend! Kudos.

Janster

...extra extra read all about it! Front page news! Very very nice! Be well.......Jan

Top Bottom