clear cast inkjet decals !

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gawdelpus

gawdelpus

Passed Away May 11, 2015
In Memoriam
These are my wifes "girly pens" what is it with women and roses lol. She did the printing, application and casting ,and I did the fun bit (turning & Polishing) she has done some in glitter and stickons as well ,but these are the first "Decals" I see lots of possabilities with these ,names ,logos,themes etc .again as with the metals I did, no dramas easy enough for anyone to have a go at ,cheers ~ John

Decals.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jocat54

Nice job. Tell us what the procedure is for doing inkjet printing. I have never tried but have read that there is some problem using inkjet. Apparently you have it down very well.

John

gawdelpus

Passed Away May 11, 2015
In Memoriam
Nice job. Tell us what the procedure is for doing inkjet printing. I have never tried but have read that there is some problem using inkjet. Apparently you have it down very well.

John
This is what I used here the instructions are very good and worked first time . I painted the tubes with a spray etch coat,then a coat or two of white spray acrylic. I figured as it was being cast in clear acrylic that would give the best chance of success :) . After the water slide picture is slid onto the tubes allowed to dry ,not long as our temperatures are mostly in the 30's centigrade , then the tubes are placed in a resin saver mold ,similar to the ones sold by "Newlondon" pour the mixed clear resin ,vibrate out for a few minutes on my "vibrating linisher table " hehe, then wait ,they set here in a couple of hours but I remove next day ,turn and polish as for any acrylic ,and all done :) My wife did the pictures in Publisher and printed with a standard inkjet printer ,followed instructions as above and it all worked fine , I have read elswhere about label casting and some problems with edges lifting and so on , didn't have any of that doing it this way . hope that helps a bit . Cheers ~ John

gawdelpus

Passed Away May 11, 2015
In Memoriam
Can you use CA over these?

These are my first attempt with this material, in effect they are a very thin transparency ,the color is sealed onto the medium with clear acrylic spray. I know where you are coming from ,nice to apply to a finished pen and seal with CA for a different effect. I suspect that CA may just dissolve them ,because of the nature of the stuff and the application , a lot of heat generated in CA finishes and a lot of friction when applying :) , may be BLO and CA might work ,or dipping in lacquer as some do or wipe on poly may work to seal external applications .I will give it a try next time on a blank and see if it does react , cheers ~ John

AceMrFixIt

I do decals and the CA has no affect on them as long as they are dry. Havent tried to cast any yet but they do look great. Its on my to do list.......

Attachments

• 100_0330.jpg
    100_0330.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 100_0299.jpg
    100_0299.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

GregMuller

Two Questions

Hi John,
Two Questions for you.
When you say you used spray etch, do you mean you sprayed the tubes, does this help with adhersion of the paint, and is so with what product? Second question is did the decal go completely around or are they smaller then the tubes?

Top Bottom