Clay Time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ladycop322

ladycop322

I was walking around Michael's today and saw some polymer clay and tools so I figured, 'Why Not?' - I made 5 and 4 blew out when I tried to turn down. I think I was supposed to wait a few hours before turning once removing from oven...(I waited about 1 hour)

Anyway, this is the one that came out...I am very happy with it.

***Disclaimer*** The photography sucks, I know. It looks like the blank is off round but it's just the lighting....

Attachments

• CLAY.jpg
    CLAY.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 267
  • CLAY1.jpg
    CLAY1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 227
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

I have made a few in clay.. and they came out pretty nice... my issue is that I have too many things to try and only so many hours to turn and experiment.

That is a gorgeous pen for your first clay.

My first was something we (my wife and I ) were making for her son to match his school colors. The colors came out well, the design was way more abstract than we planned, but it was still nice..

plantman

Great looking blank and pen Michele !! Here is a little trick I use when working with polymer clay. When your time is up in the oven, drop your blanks into a bowl of cold water while they are still hot. Be careful because they will still be soft. Don't touch the blank itself. I use a needle nose pliers to grab the rod or dowel I have supporting the blank between two pieces of wood, with a notch cut in each to keep the blank from rolling, to move it to the water. This seems to shock and harden the clay, and allows me to bring the blank directly to the lathe and turn it. Also you may want to but a piece of aluminum foil under your blank, and use another piece to make a tent over the top of the blank. This keeps the direct heat from scorching your blanks. Happy claying !! Jim S

Top Bottom