Classic RB & Buckeye Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveAxelrod

SteveAxelrod

I've been lucky several times digging into the bottom of our local Craftsman Supply store's exotic wood bin. It wasn't until after I cut it into blanks, stabilized it and turned this first pen that I was pretty sure what type of wood I'd scored.

This is the second Classic Rollerball that I've made. I like how the black enamel compliments the dark grain. I also really like the way this pen assembles. It lets you easily adjust the orientation of the clip and the threads so you can line up the grain patterns.

If you like anything about this pen I hope you'll take 9 seconds to post a comment. Clicking on the "Like" button is appreciated, but every time one of you guys makes the extra effort to offer up a kudos it really makes it all worthwhile. I bet you know what I mean and I bet it's pretty universal. I don't like every style of pen or blank but every posting that I like I've tried to post a comment to say what I like about it or just say "Nice job!". It's my way of giving back to a great community of turners. Thanks for all the positive comments over the last 3 years!!

Attachments

• Buckeye Burl Classic Rollerball (FF2+).jpg
    Buckeye Burl Classic Rollerball (FF2+).jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 180
  • Buckeye Burl Classic Rollerball (BF+).jpg
    Buckeye Burl Classic Rollerball (BF+).jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 150
  • Buckeye Burl Classic Rollerball (LF+).jpg
    Buckeye Burl Classic Rollerball (LF+).jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 198
  • Buckeye Burl Classic Rollerball (RF+).jpg
    Buckeye Burl Classic Rollerball (RF+).jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 234
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Steve, I love the way the colors in the hardware and the blank complement each other !!
Very, very lovely pen !!!!

OZturner

Excellent Pen Steve,
Magnificent Blank, Looks Great but due to the Dark background, I cannot comment on your Fit.
Please consider using a lighter background, in particular when you are using Black Finished Hardware, it all just Merges into the Background.
Brian.

DJBPenmaker

I have to disagree with Brian, the black background imparts a richness to the photo, highlights the dark grain in the wood and makes the whole thing pop!
Love the burl and the hardware.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I like the looks of the satin black hardware with the wood, it's a great combo. I think I'll try that kit in the future. While I'm the last person that should comment on one's photography (all my pens are photographed with a plain white background), I agree with Brian that the black background makes it a bit hard to see the overall shape of the black hardware.

SteveAxelrod

Thanks all for your nice comments! The black background and the photo frames are my signature style of pen photography. Sorry if it makes it hard to see the profile sometimes, but is that really important? I don't post to get critical comments on the fit and accuracy of my turning, I've turned enough pens that it's as good as it gets. Besides, if there's a flaw or if it ain't pretty I'm not going to post it, I'm going to pitch it....which I haven't had to do yet. Truth is, every pen I've turned in recent memory has been beautiful IMHO and I always can't wait to share it with everyone.

sfhipchick

WOW WOW WOW!!! What a KNOCKOUT pen! Stunning in every way. BEAUTIFUL choice of kit. Very nice presentation too. I would like to touch it, it's so silky looking! Outstanding. I bet it sells in a heartbeat! :)

PenWizard

That's a beautiful buckeye burl and I also like the black enamel with the spalting. Someone is going to be very happy to have that pen decorate their shirt pocket.

Top Bottom