Classic Black Ebonite Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from drgoretex

drgoretex

Here's today's finished commission, a long cigar done up in classic black ebonite.

I am quite happy with how this came out, though photographing it was a challenge, as the glossy black surface just seemed to suck dust straight out of the air.

IMG_6547.jpg

IMG_6548.jpg

IMG_6552.jpg

IMG_6550.jpg

IMG_6554.jpg

Thanks for looking - comments and critique welcome.

Cheers,

Ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bluwolf

Very nice! I love the black ebony. I don't usually go for this shape but you did a great job on it.

Mike

wizard

Ken, That is one gorgeous, sleek, stealthy looking pen!! Love the clean design and profile. Could you share how that cap threads...are they recessed ? Beautiful job!! Doc

Robert111

Ken, That is one gorgeous, sleek, stealthy looking pen!! Love the clean design and profile. Could you share how that cap threads...are they recessed ? Beautiful job!! Doc

Yeah, I noticed the threads are placed away from the shoulder where the cap and barrel join. So the cap threads must be recessed that distance into the cap. I assume the cap has two IDs, right?

Kinda hard to see the joint, but I assume the shoulder butts against the cap and the cap doesn't overlap the barrel shoulder.

hewunch

Ken,
The finish on that pen is like glass. You must have spent a great deal of time on it.
The short threads look great. I know that takes extra effort.
The lines are dead on from cap to body and from section to body.

But would I be a heel if I said, there is something about the proportion of the pen that seems out of place? Not sure if it is length in relation to diameter, cap in relation to body. But something looks out of place. And let me tell you, I don't want to say anything critical of this pen because it looks so good. And it is your pen, so honestly, my opinion doesn't mean much. With all that said, I would be proud to have produced such a master piece.

turbowagon

That's a great looking pen, Ken! I also love the threads on this one and you did a superb job matching the shapes of the two ends.

- Joe

OKLAHOMAN

The finish,matching of shape at both ends, and the recessed threads for the cap...yep I give it a 12 out of 10.

drgoretex

Thanks very much for the compliments!

Yeah, I noticed the threads are placed away from the shoulder where the cap and barrel join. So the cap threads must be recessed that distance into the cap. I assume the cap has two IDs, right?

Kinda hard to see the joint, but I assume the shoulder butts against the cap and the cap doesn't overlap the barrel shoulder.

Yes, the threads are recessed by about 15mm or so. The barrel to cap threading is 1/2", so I drilled out the cap to 29/64, then drilled the first 15mm or so to 1/2", then threaded the cap. This insets the threading by the amount drilled with 1/2" bit. I have done this before on other caps, but by using a hollowing tool I made out of an old screwdriver.

Ken,
The finish on that pen is like glass. You must have spent a great deal of time on it.
The short threads look great. I know that takes extra effort.
The lines are dead on from cap to body and from section to body.

But would I be a heel if I said, there is something about the proportion of the pen that seems out of place? Not sure if it is length in relation to diameter, cap in relation to body. But something looks out of place. And let me tell you, I don't want to say anything critical of this pen because it looks so good. And it is your pen, so honestly, my opinion doesn't mean much. With all that said, I would be proud to have produced such a master piece.

No heelishness at all :tongue:. After all, I invited critique, and welcome it. I certainly don't claim to have a monopoly on good taste (in fact, my wife would say I have not a single share in it :big grin:).

I thought it looked balanced, but your thoughts are appreciated. Do you think the cap to barrel ratio should be closer to 1:1, maybe? Would be worth thinking about with the next one (there will definitely be another).

Thanks for the input,

Ken

Top Bottom