Civil war pen with train.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CaptG

CaptG

OK, after all the great ideas I was given from my last laser engraved antler civil war pen, I decided to do another one. A thank you to Maxman400 for the battle scene picture, I worked for a couple hours with it on the computer, and even engraved it a couple times to test it, but the quality was so low that it just did not work. I will keep looking, thanks again Max. While I was looking for civil war battle pictures, I found this old train and thought it might look cool on the pen. It is hard to get a good look at it the way the picture is wrapped around the blank. It appears to be civil war era, but I am no train expert so I may be way off. This picture still took some photo shop enhancement, and I lasered it on the blank with low power two different times before I found a combination I liked. I turned the first two pictures off the blank reducing the diameter a bit. I started a bit overturned just in case. I am sure you will notice the under turn at the nib end. I am going to dis-assemble it tonight and build it up with ca and keep it for myself. All comments welcome and appreciated, thanks for looking.

Attachments

• civil war pen 002.jpg
    civil war pen 002.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 339
  • civil war pen 003.jpg
    civil war pen 003.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 198
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mtgrizzly52

Gary,

That is a super looking pen! I see a wide variety of possible customers of pens with either the steam or diesel locomotives as well as anything that deals with the Civil War. Being a 40+ year railroader, there is no doubt that rails would love to have a special pen like that. In addition, there is a huge group of rail buffs out there, more popularly called "Foamers" by us rails that would also love to have a pen similar to that one.

Awesome job on the laser work! :good::highfive:

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

PenMan1

Nice work, as usual, Gary.

That is, indeed a mid 1860's train. Some of the best information I have found on Civil War trains is from Stone Mountain, Georgia. They actually own two Civil War trains (that still run and they still recreated Civil War battles, at least the last time I was there).

At one point, this "Ante Bellium" park hired a Civil War train "museum expert" and they have the most complete knowledge of Civil War "trivia" of anywhere in the world (now that the Cyclorama is closed).

Call 'em on the telephone. They are wonderful, friendly people, who love to share their knowledge of our Southern heritage and the millions of "lost facts" of the Civil War. They may invite you for a visit.

Of course, you and Miss Vicki have free acommodations should you decide to venture South! We are about an hour from the park, BUT we have two boats in lifts, 50 feet from your bed, and both boats know where the big fish live!

Last edited:
Top Bottom