Civil War Pen (Antler)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wsharp

wsharp

I have made MANY of the Civil War Pens and all have been made with the Stonewall Jackson Prayer Tree, until today. Decided to make one out of Antler. I was able to maintain some bark, did have to add some color back to it though. I try to keep bark present when possible, just think it adds some depth and character. What do you think?

Thanks for looking

Wayne
Mt jackson VA

Attachments

• 2012-1007 deer antler civil war.jpg
    2012-1007 deer antler civil war.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 264
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

I think it works... The antler gives the pen a aged look which matches the civil war theme.

Wright

Great looking pen! Real rustic and the (what ever you call that in the center?) of the antler looks great. Love the rusty color along with the rest of the antler. Looks like a knife handle. Great job!

wsharp

Thanks for the comments. After sanding I still hand some bark left but lost some of the color so I added some back. I use brown shoe polish and it darkens the bark as well as adds some tint to the rest of the blank

Wright

OOOOOOH, that is called bark. Now I now. Wayne, years ago I hunted Civil War relics (I'm one myself) all over the southeast. Assumed a nice collection. Though about making a Civil War pen using real 58 Cal mini ball from my collection just for display.

el_d

Nice work Wayne, I like the brown shoe polish "Patina" you added. The patina adds to the "aged" look. Very fitting for the civil war.

Bowl Slinger

I dont care for these kits much but you have made me reconsider. This one is spectacular, the first one that I really like. Well done!

Top Bottom