Civil War Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dudley Young

Dudley Young

Gun metal finish. The wood is heart pine from the Tallassee Confederate Armory in Tallassee, Al. This is the only Confederate armory that was not destroyed during the Civil War. This wood received from my friend John (PapNal) who lives in Tallassee. Thanks John.

Attachments

• tallassee.jpg
    tallassee.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 206
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

65GTMustang

I have turned many of these pens.
This wood is beautiful!
I am a very lucky person to have some Angelique wood - it is completely protected today and impossible to get new cuts ….to the point of being illegal.
The reason I have some is due to a couple of local friends that went to Charleston SC to salvage the beams and boards that were taken from the Spirit of South Carolina - A Schooner built in the 1700's which also served during the civil war.
About 3 years ago they began the restoration of the ship - They sent notice to numerous organizations about the wood that would be available to pick up. There were 5 different types of wood the ship was built out of. They had a very low turnout. My two friends who had a 5 ton dump truck and a 40 foot trailer packed everything they could…There top speed coming home was 35 mph…Lol. At the end of the day what they were not able to fit was burned to ashes!!! So Sad
I have a good bit that I purchased - and it makes for a great wood to turn with these kits.
I really like your pen for many of the same reason I like turning mine from Angelique - It comes with history....Yours being from a historical location along with it simply being so nice looking. The colors and grain are awesome.
GREAT JOB!

PaulDoug

That is a nice looking pen. Great wood for it. The civil war pens are not "pretty" but a great conversation piece. I like them. I'm waiting for some one to post one made out of one of the confederate money blanks.

Dudley Young

That is a nice looking pen. Great wood for it. The civil war pens are not "pretty" but a great conversation piece. I like them. I'm waiting for some one to post one made out of one of the confederate money blanks.
You're right Paul, they aren't pretty and neither is the 50 Cal and I sell a lot of those. You never know what folks will buy. Thanks.

KenBrasier

Great looking Civil War Pen and a fantastic choice for the wood. I make and sell many of these and am always challenged to find the right material to use, you've found a very good match, Well Done!

Top Bottom