Circulating Blood - CLOSED END PHOTO ADDED

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

Finally found some time to tinker with some simple laminations. I think I might make another body for this pen without any laminations. I am happy with it overall. Bloodwood with Afircan Blackwood laminations. CA Finish with TSW. Platinum Baron.

Please feel free to comment, critique, or blow warm air up under my skirt... :D

blackbloodlam.jpg

Cheers,

Fangar

rtjw

Good looking pen. I think the solid body would look good ion this pen. and maybe even no laminations on the bottom barrel. The top barrel is good enough alone.

Fangar

Johnny,

Good idea. I am the process of making a pin chuck for the baron. Sounds like a good pen to start with.

Cheers,

Fangar

PenWorks

Good job on the lam and pen James. I think the bottom does detract from the nice work on the cap. But still, not to shabby the way it is. [:)] Could go either way.

Randy_

Nice work, James!~! I particularly like the thin laminations that you used for your "KNOT." I've seen quite a few that use thicker laminations and the "knots" look a little ponderous. Yours have a very fine and precise feel to them.....which I find much more appealing.

Ron Mc

James.
Very nice. I really like the way the "Knot" looks with smaller lamination's.

bonsaibill

You call that a simple lamination? I think the cap is awesome. It probably would look better with a solid lower leg though. I want to be just like you when I grow up.

hobby_dale

Excellent job James. I like the color combinations. Interesting that the knot in the top portion seems to resemble an atom. The familiar image of a proton surrounded by rings of electrons. Cool.

Fangar

Originally posted by wdcav1952BTW, how long have you and Eagle been wearing dresses? [}:)][:D][}:)]

Just don't tell anyone else, but I find that a nice sun dress worn while turning really puts me in the proper frame of mind...With my Black and White Chuck Taylors Converse Allstars, on as well. [:D]

Thanks to all. I woke up early and am getting to work on finishing my pin chuck. I have been wanting to do a solid body for a while now, and I think this would be a good pen.

Fangar

Fangar

Got the pin chuck done this morning. Worked out real well. I redid the baron and made it a closed end. I like the result...

A Little out of focuse but you get the idea...

blackbloodlam2.jpg

Cheers,

Fangar

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
James, grab your best frock and prepare for a warm breeze!! I really like the final result. I guess it is time for me to get up my nerve and try a closed end pen.

Very Nice!!!

darbytee

James, I thought the first one was really nice, but the closed end is even better. The lamination in the top gives it a perfect amount of detail without detracting from the lines of the closed end. Great job.

Fangar

Originally posted by rtjw
<br />Wow, Looks a 1000 times better I think. Where did you get your pen chuck from.

Johnny,

Thanks. I made a pin chuck out of an old steel punch that fit the ID of the Baron small tube (9.1 MM I Think). I used a cut finishing nail for the pin. There are some photos floating around here of them.

Cheers,

Fangar

hobby_dale

Definitely favor the closed end more. Gives a real touch of class, elegance, etc to the work. Thanks for raising the bar! That is why they invented the limbo, for guys like me! [:D]

Fangar

Thanks guys. I appreciate all of the comments. I am going out to my old man's place tomorrow to visit with his steel lathe, uh I mean him. I am going to bang out some pin chucks with a bushing for the smaller Baron Tubes.

Cheers,

Fangar

Randy_

James: I was wondering how thick the wood is that you used for the "X" ?? Did you cut the blanks with a TS and a thin blade or did you use some other type of saw? Thanks.

Fangar

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />James: I was wondering how thick the wood is that you used for the "X" ?? Did you cut the blanks with a TS and a thin blade or did you use some other type of saw? Thanks.

Randy,

I used my Jet Band Saw with a handle jig that I made. The African Blackwood was cut to just under 1/16th of an inch.

Fangar

Randy_

Thanks, James. I think a double cross needs to be added to your project list!!

And another question.....was the cap lamination cut at 45° ?? I've been expecting some folks to experiment with angles other than 45°; but haven't seen any such efforts yet.

BigRob777

James,
The lamination in this pen looks perfect. You must have your drilling down to a 1,000th tolerance. I'm lucky to hit the right end.[8D] I guess I'm the only one who prefers the chrome end laminated version, but I see why most people prefer the closed end version. I don't mind a little "busy" in a pen. They are both spectacular though. That's not a pen I would want to keep in my pocket. It would have to go on a mantle or a showcase. I haven't ever turned either a laminate, a closed end, or that kit, so I am not sure how much work it is. It seems like a lot, but the end result of both efforts look to be worth the time. I'm getting in some blackwood, for laminations, so I would love to try that next.
Rob
http://www.Idon'thaveawebsiteyet.pout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom