Circles in a Quarry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VisExp

VisExp

This is my Circles in a Forest design, but I had to modify the name as I put it in Tru Stone :biggrin:

I have no idea what type of Tru Stone this is. It is the first time I've worked with it and this piece was an extra that Richard included with my order. I found the Tru Stone nice to work with. It cut and drilled well and although pretty hard to turn, it turned clean. Had to sharpen my tools a couple of times, but I do that normally when working with segmented blanks.

Your comments are appreciated. Thanks for looking.

1_ACT_692401.jpg

1_ACT_692502.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Nice stuff Keith - the pattern almost gets lost in the blank. I think I like some of your others a little better, but your craftsmanship is super as always.

OKLAHOMAN

Keith, I'm with Bruce, maybe in person the pattern and the segmenting won't conflict, but as always your craftsmanship is top notch.
BTW if you want to send it to me to see in person so as to give a true critique I will avail myself:wink:.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I saw the same thing as Bruce and Roy, the danger of losing the
circles in that particular blank.
HOWEVER .. I think it would look great in the black w/ gold matrix.. the
gold veins are erratic and unpredictable, the circle lines are clear both in
color and in pattern. At least that's what it seems like to me.
Don't get me wrong, I'm still in awe. :biggrin:

jttheclockman

Keith this pen and the others you just posted are excellent. The fit and finish are spot on. Yourr photography is great also. Can you tell us a little about your setup for the photos. Are you using a light tent and if so what type lights??? What are you using for the background and under the pen??? Thanks and keep them coming.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
To get each cut as consistantly smooth, I reckon you have learned to hold your breath when doing the cuts.:eek::biggrin:
But you need to be carefull!!!! You know what they say about people that can draw a perfect circle, freehand?:wink:

The same thing they say about people who jump out of perfectly good airplanes!!!!!:biggrin:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well Keith, you certainly do get a lot of comments on your work.

I thought I was going to be the only one to tell you how GREAT your precision looked, but I would have chosen a different blank. Now, I'm just parrotting back what the others have said.

Get some of the pearls or a contrasting color metallic to insert your metals - SHOW OFF your work, don't camoflage it!!!

JMO!!

VisExp

Thanks for the comments everyone. I was trying for a sublte design, but at the same time was worried that it would get lost in the blank. In person it is far easier to see the design, as you rotate the pen the light catches on the aluminum.

I've exchanged PM's with Richard and he has suggested some other Tru Stone colors to me which are not so busy.

Does the tru-stone tend to chip or flake when working with it?

Steve, the Tru Stone cut very well. I did not sand the joints, just glued them as they came off the saw. I did find it to be a bit "grabby" on the upstroke of the scroll saw and had to focus on holding the blank down. I was also pleased that it did not "melt" with the heat of the cut. I've had that problem while cutting PR and Alumilite.

Beautiful pen, What kit is that?

Nick, the kit is an Elegant Beauty that I got from Aaron.

Can you tell us a little about your setup for the photos. Are you using a light tent and if so what type lights??? What are you using for the background and under the pen???

John, I'm not using a light tent. I have diffusers on my lights. The background is a piece of lexan over a white piece of paper. I want to build myself a light box like the one Gerryr outlines in his tutorial. I get highlights on the hardware which I would like to tone down or eliminate.

Cool Keith did you ever think to do your design with brass or copper?

Darley, I've used brass in other designs before but not in this one. I think I will give it a try. I do find the brass harder to work with than the aluminum. I've never done anything with copper, mainly because when I was buying my aluminum and brass sheets a while back the price of copper was through the roof :biggrin:

The same thing they say about people who jump out of perfectly good airplanes!!!!!:biggrin:

Steven, there is no such thing as a perfectly good airplane! That is why you have to jump out of them :wink:

Get some of the pearls or a contrasting color metallic to insert your metals - SHOW OFF your work, don't camoflage it!!!

That's the plan Ed, just waiting on my order from Dawn :biggrin:

Awesome, Keith! If I tried that, it would have been named Circles in a Quandry!!

Thank you Cav, you gave me a good laugh at the end of a long day :biggrin:

akbar24601

If I can throw my two cents in on the metal business, I feel that, so far anyway, Copper has been the hardest to turn, then Brass and the easiest being Aluminum.

Top Bottom