Cigars - 10 amboynas, 2 verawood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NI Joe

NI Joe

Ten cigars (wolfdancer blanks) for a business order - all Black Ti, engraved and filled; 2 verawood to try out the material

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you, Joe

Attachments

• 10amboynas1.jpg
    10amboynas1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 251
  • 10amboynas2.jpg
    10amboynas2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 10amboynas3.jpg
    10amboynas3.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 164
  • verawood1.jpg
    verawood1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 173
  • verawood2.jpg
    verawood2.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 128
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sfolivier

If you had waited a little bit longer, the verawood would have turned green again.

Very nice pens, amboyna is one of my favorite woods :) The finish looks outstanding. Some cigar tops maybe a little bit too fat for my tastes tho.

I bet your customer will be delighted.

Nick

Joe,
Impressive display of excellent work on the pens and the photo as well.
What finish did you use? Wolfdancer has some excellent wood
Congrats on the order!!

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
That one on the right hand side is one fat ba*****!

Could you explain a little more regarding the filling you mention.

TowMater

Nice batch of pens!

The one on the far left appears to be flat on one side (under the clip) and rounded out on the other side. My favorite shape is the second from the right.

doddman70

All very nice!!!!! Wolfdancer does have some beautiful wood I have a bunch of it in my shop aching to be turned it's just to darn cold!!!:):biggrin::biggrin:

NI Joe

Thank you for the kind words. The final finish is a Myland's Friction Polish. Getting there includes a CA slurry sanding (recommended by Russ Fairfield at a penturner's meeting) to fill any open pores then progressing through the grits. I do this with 220-320 grit garnet paper and medium or thin CA. I took these through 600 grit then hit them with EEE Creme before doing the engraving. Then filled the engraved areas with good old black Rub N Buff to enhance contrast a bit. A note of caution here, make sure the wood pores are filled before applying RnB as it stays where it goes. Another thing I learned - CA is a wonderful solvent for Rubb N Buff. Don't apply more CA after adding RnB to a pen as you'll disolve the pigment and send it everywhere - wasted a beautiful blank with that lesson. I ended up doing the fill, letting the pens sit overnight then hitting them with a good dose of Myland's. They're warm to the touch.

Yes, perhaps I got carried away with the mini billy club... There was something in that blank that made me want to stop right then and there.

All the best, Joe

Top Bottom