A Cigar wearing Lilac

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RHossack

RHossack

Just took this off the lathe.

This is one of my One-Piece Cigars dressed with Lilac from a tree of a young man's (monolith) grandmother.

The shape is a blatant copy of Larry of Harrow's (and Mack's) rendition of the Long Click Pen.

The left over piece of Lilac is used for a prop to show the difference from raw wood to popped via Defthane.

I used Defthane Lacquer (which penetrants the wood) to get the grain to pop and then finished with 4 coats of Med CA and polished out with Tri-M-Ite polishing papers.

9838270LilacCigar_002__Copy_.JPG

3574485LilacCigar_001__Copy_.JPG

8373561LilacCigar_004__Copy_.JPG

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Very good match on the grain - super looking pen.

Well, if I understand it right, the blank never was cut, the step between the cap and bottom part of the pen is false, the mechanism is a single piece that turns at the nib point, I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please...!

In any case, is a great "illusion" and well thought by its originator...!:wink:

I wouldn't have though that the wood is Lilac, I would be thinking of one of many Pines species in existence but I would have been wrong, not the first time and will not be the last, I'm sure...!:frown:

Well done...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

hilltopper46

Duh. :)

Now I get it. Still a great looking pen!

robutacion said:
Well, if I understand it right, the blank never was cut, the step between the cap and bottom part of the open is false, the mechanism is a single piece that turns at the nib point, I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please...!

I would have though that the wood is Lilac, I would be thinking of one of many Pines species in existence but I would have been wrong, not the first time and will not be the last, I'm sure...!:frown:

Well done...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

Some pics in this thread of the bush it came from, if anyones curious: http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=83170&page=3

I remember that thread well and your "struggle" to make it usable for pen turners...!

I'm not sure but, I think this one was the first pen I saw made from it...???

Great stuff...!

hilltopper46, don't feel "duh...!", I have not been corrected so, I assume I was right but that is not the point, I and many others get a little confused sometimes when we see these "tricks" done, not knowing exactly what they are.

I suppose, all part of the fun and processes of making writing instruments, huh...???

Cheers
George

Monolith

Some pics in this thread of the bush it came from, if anyones curious: http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=83170&page=3

I remember that thread well and your "struggle" to make it usable for pen turners...!

Great stuff...!

Almost! MrWright sent me a couple a little while ago that also came out wicked nice: http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86083 :biggrin:

robutacion

Great stuff...!

Almost! MrWright sent me a couple a little while ago that also came out wicked nice: http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86083 :biggrin:

Oh.., I didn't see those ones...!!!:frown:

You were right tough, some nice wood among that bushy "jungle" you had to cut and clean.

Cheers
George

RHossack

Thanks all for the kind words ...

Very good match on the grain - super looking pen.

Well, if I understand it right, the blank never was cut, the step between the cap and bottom part of the pen is false, the mechanism is a single piece that turns at the nib point, I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please...!
You are correct George ...
Thanks ... Larry did this first on a Long Click pen and I liked it so I did my version on a Cigar.
I wouldn't have though that the wood is Lilac, I would be thinking of one of many Pines species in existence but I would have been wrong, not the first time and will not be the last, I'm sure...!:frown:
It is ... I believe monolith posted a link to the pics of the tree. Lilac is a lot harder than pine and turns nicely.

Last edited:

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
I got some raw Lilac from Jon (Monolith) as a trade. I make him a pen from the stock and he gives me some raw Lilac. I dried the sticks and cut the blank myself. Made him a couple of pens and had a small portion left over from the blank. It look exactly like the one shown. I am most sure that the pen he displays does turn from the clip side as it looks like my pens I sell, the Mesa, and Gatsby. You can match up the bottom part with the lower as it is a push on type of set up, and the top of the transmission fits tightly in the cap. My pen did not have the grain like his as I cut my black with the round growth rings. He must have pushed the top of the pen just right to match up his grain when the point was not sticking out. I think Lilac really makes a nice blank.

Monolith

I got some raw Lilac from Jon (Monolith) as a trade. I make him a pen from the stock and he gives me some raw Lilac. I dried the sticks and cut the blank myself. Made him a couple of pens and had a small portion left over from the blank. It look exactly like the one shown. I am most sure that the pen he displays does turn from the clip side as it looks like my pens I sell, the Mesa, and Gatsby. You can match up the bottom part with the lower as it is a push on type of set up, and the top of the transmission fits tightly in the cap. My pen did not have the grain like his as I cut my black with the round growth rings. He must have pushed the top of the pen just right to match up his grain when the point was not sticking out. I think Lilac really makes a nice blank.

In case anyone wants to check out the pens MrWright did:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86083

:biggrin:

RHossack

Made him a couple of pens and had a small portion left over from the blank. It look exactly like the one shown. I am most sure that the pen he displays does turn from the clip side as it looks like my pens I sell, the Mesa, and Gatsby. You can match up the bottom part with the lower as it is a push on type of set up, and the top of the transmission fits tightly in the cap.
If you are in reference to my pen it twists from the nib to open and close the refill.
My pen did not have the grain like his as I cut my black with the round growth rings.
This showed absolutey zero grain when I turned it to size. The grain in the wood 'popped' after using the Defthane.
He must have pushed the top of the pen just right to match up his grain when the point was not sticking out.
No matching up of the grain here, it's a one-piece pen body. The larger top barrel gives the illusion of a two piece pen.

The instructions for my method of making it is here. http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77365

Last edited:
Top Bottom