cigar in walnut with copper inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from conandy

conandy

Tried something fun and got what I think is a great result! I paired a cigar kit in copper from Bear Tooth Woods with some curly walnut and did some creative inlay with copper flashing. The little piece of silver "bling" is a repair for the piece that blew out on me at the last minute. I felt like it added a little bit of whimsy.

This will be a gift for my brother-in-law for his birthday.

Attachments

• 20151117_142413001.jpg
    20151117_142413001.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 254
  • 20151117_142422002.jpg
    20151117_142422002.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 20151117_142501003.jpg
    20151117_142501003.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 418
  • 20151117_142510004.jpg
    20151117_142510004.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 292
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Josh@csusa

That looks sharp! Love the contrast between the copper and the walnut!

Last edited:

conandy

Please share! How did you do the copper in-lay? Your pen looks so good I want to try! :laugh:

Basically, I took each of the blanks, and scroll sawed them apart in a sort of "s" shaped path, glued back together with a piece of copper sheet sandwiched in (I used 0.162" thick copper sheet and a scroll saw blade with 0.18" kerf) with thick CA glue. After that dried and the squeeze out was cleaned up on the sander, I rotated the blank 90 degrees and did it again. Make sure the second slice across the blank enters and leaves the sides at different locations from the first cut. The crossing "s" shapes end up giving you a really random curvy effect when turned down. The effect isn't nearly as cool if you rotate a full 180 degrees between cuts.

Ordered the copper sheet from onlinemetals.com. Copper ain't cheap. I've done a number as well with aluminum flashing left over from a construction project. Inspiration for sure from RJBwoodturner's videos on youtube, especially his aluminum can celtic knots.

I made a couple little glue-up forms to assist in lining the pieces back up to glue them. Trick is to clamp them to the point that the grain lines back up, and especially the 2 halves of the sliced copper (or other inlay material). Use a slow setting and thick CA glue to fill the gaps and to give you working time to glue up.

Similar in concept to doing celtic knots, but the saw cuts are more free form, rather than rigidly straight and lined up.

Where the pattern leaves small wedges between the inlaid metals as you get close to the final diameter is where things like to fail on a catch. For some reason neither CA glue or epoxy seems to be super reliable on how well it bonds to the metals. Even if they are sanded up really well before hand.

i have had the best luck with the Easywood "finisher" (round tip) for most of the turning. A skew would probably work better, but I don't have skew skills yet. The inlay metals definitely wear down the edge on the turning tools a lot faster, so I really need to find a technique that works with standard tools so I can just sharpen as needed. My "regular" tools are harbor freight cheapo's, so don't hold or take an edge worth a dang. Maybe I'll get a nice skew for Xmas and take the time to learn it. :)

conandy

As I was comparing different woods to the options in metals (aluminum, copper), I saw the copper and walnut together and said "Wow. I have got to make a pen with this combo". Then was blown away by the look of the finished combination. I love copper inlay, but unfortunately there are not very many pen kit options out there with a copper finish that pairs up nicely with it. Basically the choices are cigars, perfect fits, or slimlines. If there are other pen kits out there with copper finish options, I'd love someone to point me at them.

Skie_M

As I was comparing different woods to the options in metals (aluminum, copper), I saw the copper and walnut together and said "Wow. I have got to make a pen with this combo". Then was blown away by the look of the finished combination. I love copper inlay, but unfortunately there are not very many pen kit options out there with a copper finish that pairs up nicely with it. Basically the choices are cigars, perfect fits, or slimlines. If there are other pen kits out there with copper finish options, I'd love someone to point me at them.

Bolt action pen kits from PSI come as an antique copper option ...

Antique brass color kits also pair decently well with copper. And don't forget that inlaying brass will also work, though it seems to be a little more expensive than copper.

MTViper

Bear Tooth has Sierra kits in copper - with and without the stylus. PSI is making several different kits in antique copper. Their Steampunk series has copper as a component of all three finishes. I've made several with circuit board pen blanks and they are striking.

Top Bottom