Cigar Replica

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ragz

ragz

Almost managed to do a cigar replica this weekend as well.
Dakota burl for the ash and dyed redwood with a modified panache kit

Although the pen is dark to look like a maduro wrapper my pictures seem to make it look even darker. In the hand you can see the grain pattern

All comments welcome

Attachments

• cig.jpg
    cig.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 341
  • cigclo.jpg
    cigclo.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 275
  • ciglab.jpg
    ciglab.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 214
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

Great looking pen/Cigar. I tried this a couple months back and it didn't even come close to this. I have a lot of vintage cigar bands and hope to do something like this as time allows. You did an amazing job! MORE PLEASE

ragz

Thanks

These are pretty straight forward. If you are having trouble with them treat as a segmented pen first for the ash section and as a double closed end second. The tricky part is getting a blank that looks like a cigar wrapper and not so much like wood. Not too heavily grain pattern but interesting things like eyes are ok as long as they aren't too close or too big

S.A.Mappin

I've done a coulpe of these now that truned out really good, but I haven't tried doing the "ash" look to any yet. You hit it spot on on this particular pen, great job!!

Jim Burr

Banned
How do you figure the depth for the pen assembly into the base and account for the spring? No doubt Im over complicating it!

ragz

How do you figure the depth for the pen assembly into the base and account for the spring? No doubt Im over complicating it!

Since I did use the guts from a panache kit I drilled the body to about 1/8th longer than the body tube so that the tube would insert flush to the body.

As for the spring compensation, there is none. The body finial that the spring is recessed into inserts all the way into the tube and is designed to be a backstop to the refill with very slight give. If you've used this kit once assembled the writing tip isn't spongey at all but seems to be pretty firm. Sooo I pulled the spring out of the finial and dropped it into the tube and assembled as normal.

Two more tips to go :)

firewhatfire

I see what you are referring to on swapping the ends. I will attempt another one in the near future and may do it similar to it. I need to acquire a few more bands before I try again. Did you cut the band to fit your wood?

Phil

Top Bottom