Cigar Pens For A Beginner?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from challagan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Corey,
I started with Cigars and recommend everyone that asks to start with cigars. Easy shape to turn and finish.
I look forward to seeing your new cigar pen!

leatherjunkie

Corey,

I find that cigar pens are easier to turn than slimline pens.
also they are more comfortable to write with.
I also feel that whatever material you use for the cigar pen looks better than on a smaller pen.

Dario

Slimline for beginners? Maybe yes because of the kit price, definitely not because they are easier. That said...my first 2 kits are slimlines and 7mm Euro's.

Slimlines are actually much more difficult to turn...especially if you are doing a bushing to bushing (straight) turning. It is a good practice though.

I know some who actually turn bulged pens because they cannot make straight ones. Of course there are also people who do it because they want to. [:)]

JimGo

I don't recommend slimlines for beginners. You're turning the wood down to like 1/32", which means that one false move, and it's toast. I prefer cigar kits for beginners, especially when you get them from Arizona Silhouette; they have great prices.

leatherjunkie

the first pen i turned was a slim line from woodcraft.
i chose it due to cost and because all i had to do whas turn it to bushings nothing else.
i used 3 blocks of wood with c clamps to drill the blanks.
my dad took one look at my makeshift wood clamp and said what the stink? but it worked. in the process of gluing the tubes in the wood blanks i glued two fingers together. i was using ca glue.
i grabbed the can of acetone and proceded to drown the fingers till they came apart.
well got done turning the wood blanks and it wasn't pretty looking.
ended up taking a small board with sandpaper wrapped around it to sand the blanks even. took about 10 mins of sanding. and that was just with 150 grit paper. well i finished the pen to 2000 grit and used fricton polish for finish. the wood was cocobolo. i know a hard dense wood for the first pen, not a good choice. should have used maple.
the pen turned out pretty good for my first one. after that day i prefer the fat pens for turning. they are so much easier to turn.
since reading this website i sand my pens to 12000 grit. i still use friction polish because i like the feel of wood.

Skye

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />I don't recommend slimlines for beginners. You're turning the wood down to like 1/32", which means that one false move, and it's toast. I prefer cigar kits for beginners, especially when you get them from Arizona Silhouette; they have great prices.

Sweet, I turned 3 slimlines the first time I ever touched a lathe. All 3 worked great even though 400 grit was the best paper I had.... none the less. Cant wait to try a cigar now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom