A Cigar Pen in Wenge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JWS Penworks

JWS Penworks

Man oh Man is this wood HARD! It's not the easiest wood to turn, I had to sharpen my gouge a couple of times. And I could not get shavings, only dust :D :D However, it was worth the effort as it makes a very regal looking pen. I am a Pastor, and I am going to gift this pen to the Pastor that I did my internship under.

Well, here it is:

PastorsPen002.jpg

The finishing schedule is Sanded 180-Grocery Bag Paper, then Micro Meshed through 12,000. Mylands, and then Renaissance Wax.

I would like to thank Victor for this beautiful piece of Wenge. It was included as a filler in and order I placed with him for Lathe Accessories. Thanks again Victor!!

Thanks for looking,
John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RMB

Nice job, good fit! Wenge is tough, I think the reason you can't get shavings is because of the difference in density between the black and brown parts of the growth rings. Reminds me, I still want to make a pen for my pastor.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
That looks great, I like the angle cut. The Wenge is a great looking wood, but in my opinion, it doesn't reveal it's full beauty until it is used for a while and gets a bit worn in. I carry one that is 4 years old and really like the feel of it.

marcruby

I like wenge but not only is it hard to turn, it's really easy for splinters to infect. Breathing it is not the best thing to do either. But when all is said and done it finishes beautifully. It also bleaches ver well, some day I'll try a bleaced wenge pen.

Marc

woody350ep

heh, funny thing john. You mentioned it as an extra from Victor. I got one too and couldn't place what wood it was, mainly because I'm stupid, but now that you brought it up, I am looking right at it as I never took it to the shop. Been sitting here for a couple of months now lol. Thanks for the ID on one of these pieces........

talbot

A great looking pen John and i'm sure the Pastor will be delighted at receiving it.
I've never turned Wenge but it looks like it's now going on my list.
Regards, Bill

JWS Penworks

heh, funny thing john. You mentioned it as an extra from Victor. I got one too and couldn't place what wood it was, mainly because I'm stupid, but now that you brought it up, I am looking right at it as I never took it to the shop. Been sitting here for a couple of months now lol. Thanks for the ID on one of these pieces........
Jason,

Don't feel too bad, I had to ask Victor what it was :biggrin:

John

woody350ep

Well I asked him if by chance he knew what he put it, and he didn't. He said I could send him a pic of them and he would prolly know then, but naturally I never got around to it, so oh well. At least I know 1/2 now haha

bitshird

Wenge is a mean wood to cut, but if it's cut with the grain, it's a bear to put a CA finish on, I had a 3"x5"x48" piece that nearly destroyed a Freud blade, but it does make beautiful pens. your's proves that.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
What a great pen! I happen to have found Wenge to be, uhm, challenging. Always wear a good dust mask and have the fan blowing the stuff away from where your working. But in the long run, it DOES make a regal looking pen! And as someone else said, the longer you use it, the more comfortable it becomes.
It's a wonderful piece of work.

Top Bottom