Cigar Pen - Nothing Fancy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Leviblue

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
I haven't had much time in the shop lately but a customer had a pen stolen from his office. He liked the cigar pen and wanted another one. So I took a break and went through my stash of kits and wood.
I came up with a gun metal cigar wrapped with the exotic "FIG" wood.
The small knot quickly grew to a large area as the blank was turned. It had to be stabilized with thin CA several times. During the sanding phase, I applied some medium CA and sanded with the slurry to fill in the voids, but keep the knot visible.
An application of sanding sealer, 4 coats thin CA and buffed out on the Beall wheels give the finish a satin look while keeping the feel of the wood on the pen. It's super smooth and feels nice when used. I kind of hate sending it to a new home, but that's what is was made for. :biggrin:

Thanks for taking the time to look at the posting.

Oh, yes my photo taking still is bad, so I tried the scanner and it works much better this way for me.

Attachments

• IMG (2).jpg
    IMG (2).jpg
    20 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 253
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
Its been a while since I made a cigar, but this line was fun. The fit is very nice.
Thanks for the comments. They are greatly appreciated.
I'll have to try a different background. The blue is the first think I could get to since it was in my guitar setup kit.

walshjp17

Great pen, Kevin. I'm always looking for a feature like your know when I pick out wood for my pens. It adds so much character and customers really like it.

Top Bottom