707e6c9b0eb4208e3494826a72616e00.jpg
fbb08a2ad7a9a488810419f64d06f886.jpg
74069f3efd34768640bd62216908bbf5.jpg
my first cigar pen and had a lot of fun turning it

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Aces-High

Hi Cody,

You got the shape of the cigar pen really well, and the blank is great. I am looking at the top part of the pen that meets the center ring. I'm not sure if it's the photo, but one side seems to overlap and the other is inside the level of the ring. Did you turn on a mandrel? Possible overtighten?

Jason

jkeith

Good eye Jason. I have noticed that on a couple of my pens. You say it could from over tightening?

Try turning between centers and see if that goes away. I had that issue when I started too, probably why I spotted it.

I noticed some my pens doing the same thing even though my mandrel seemed straight. Possibly tail stock was slightly out of alignment, although when pushing centers together looked ok. Went to turning between centers and it's perfect now.

Aces-High

Good eye Jason. I have noticed that on a couple of my pens. You say it could from over tightening?

Try turning between centers and see if that goes away. I had that issue when I started too, probably why I spotted it.

I noticed some my pens doing the same thing even though my mandrel seemed straight. Possibly tail stock was slightly out of alignment, although when pushing centers together looked ok. Went to turning between centers and it's perfect now.

I am saving up some money for a mandrel saver for tail stock. I am hoping that will make a difference. Turning 2 part pens takes so much longer with tbc....

mecompco

I am saving up some money for a mandrel saver for tail stock. I am hoping that will make a difference. Turning 2 part pens takes so much longer with tbc....

It may take a few more minutes, but I think TBC is well worth it. I ditched the mandrel early on (and I had the mandrel saver) and have never looked back. Just my .02.

Regards,
Michael

Top Bottom