Cigar pen (Antler)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WoodChucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodChucker

This is my second antler pen and the first one I did as a cigar pen. I like the color a little better on this one, but I'd still like it to be just a little more white. Guess it's just a hit and miss thing with antler, hey? Is one area better then another to cut the blank from the antler? This one came from the base of the antler, does the color change any as you go up? Just curious. Thanks!
Antler3.jpg

R.T.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kyle

I've only made a few antler pens, but the deer antler I used had a nice solid white, ivory like look near the tips (the smallest diameter parts of the antler). The rest of the antler was pretty porous, and downright dark in places (it was an old, weathered antler).

Your's, however, looks plenty good to me!

Kyle

PenWorks

Looks really nice RT. Is it deer or elk? I think since you had a large piece being by the base, you may have turned past the enamel in some spots. Was it real white , then started to get the dark spots the more your cut? Anyways,I would have traded you my ugly green pen for it. I will be sure not to tell Rudolf, what you did last night. Anthony

G

I like whatever color shows up from pure white to blown or black markings.
CA and accelerant have an effect of the color.
White tail seems different than mule deer
Here's a couple that were posted on the Finishing Forum.
I ahve been using Mineral oil and micro mesh,carnauba and then Presidents choice

WoodChucker

Thanks Kyle, I have some more antler left over so I'll try one from the tip. Thanks!

Anthony, it's from a whitetail deer. And yes, it started out white and got darker the more it was turned, and then the side not showing in the pic got even darker and had a rougher feel to it once I started sanding it. And you keep that pretty green pen, someone will buy it and then you'll have to make another one. lol. Oh, and Rudolf stop by last night to thank me for getting rid of his competition for him. [:D]

Thanks Fred, thats what I'm starting to think also.

Eagle, thanks for the tips, I'd love to try that Presidents choice stuff, but for some reason I can't order through PayPal, I don't think they like my first name, and I'm having trouble with getting emails from everyone except Anthony for some reason, so I guess I'm SOL for now. Thanks again!

R.T.

G

Click on D.C.'s profile and e-mail him direct.
I understand he has an "open door policy"
Believe me he will get the stuff to you.

Mike_O

R.T.,
This looks great. How did you finish it?

I sell a lot of antler pens, and I have found that most of my customers like the natural variations in color. I usually try to make sure that the grip area of the lower barrel is nice and solid white. This area gets the most wear, and even if a customer could wear the finish off, the bone still stay nice and polished looking if it they aren't handeling the marrow.

WoodChucker

Thanks Eagle, I've done that a few times. But I'm not getting emails from anyone on the forum for some reason. I'm sure he must have answered me back, but I never got it. I can't figure out if the problem is on my end or if it's just the forum email. If someone would like to send me an email at rt@thewoodchucker.com I'd appreciate it, and if you could try it once with the forum email and then thru normal email it would let me know which one or both is not working. Let me know here if anyone does it, I sure would like to find out. Thanks!

Mike, I just used a friction polish that I got from CSUSA. It seems to work good, do you think that works OK?

R.T.

Kyle

I just posted a few pictures in my album of pens I made proressing from the tip to the base of one deer antler. They show the variation of color / texture / etc.

Kyle

G

Woodchucker
I sent you an e-mail through Outlook,
the forumm& your website.
Website e-mail address came up different.

WoodChucker

Thanks Fred, I only got the one you sent me from my web site. I think I'm just going to change my email address on the forum to my personal one, might save some aggravation. Thank you for trying that for me, I really appreciate it!

R.T.

Fleabit

Nice pen bro. I have someone giving me Sitka Black Tail antlers that he has laying around. Can't wait to get started on them. Again. Nice pen.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
R.T.-- I just sent you an email through your website. Let me know if for any reason you don't get it.
Originally posted by WoodChucker
<br />Eagle, thanks for the tips, I'd love to try that Presidents choice stuff, but for some reason I can't order through PayPal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom