Cigar Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BOwens

BOwens

First attempt at the Cigar Pen. Made from Deer Antler and Cherry wood. Wish I knew about the Polyurethane finish when I made this one. I atempted to do the CA finish on this one but didn't work out too good. I did the Antler part in CA finish, but the wood kept on screwing up so I just put wax on it.

Attachments

• DSCF0440.jpg
    DSCF0440.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCF0439.jpg
    DSCF0439.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCF0437.jpg
    DSCF0437.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 196
  • DSCF0438.jpg
    DSCF0438.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 163
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LarryDNJR

First attempt at the Cigar Pen. Made from Deer Antler and Cherry wood. Wish I knew about the Polyurethane finish when I made this one. I atempted to do the CA finish on this one but didn't work out too good. I did the Antler part in CA finish, but the wood kept on screwing up so I just put wax on it.

Good start. I would suggest maybe giving the bottom half another attempt. Turn off the wood and start again. Don't give up! :)

Also with Antler you really don't need to CA finish it. You can buff it like mad on a buffing wheel and it shines up real nice.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
THIS IS AN OPINION!!! NOT A FACT!!

I BELIEVE you will gain from using thin CA on Antler and any other porous, natural substance. I THINK it will reinforce the material and make it LESS LIKELY to crack.

You cannot guarantee any natural substance won't crack---heck you can't even guarantee a resin won't crack!!! But, I believe where there are "pores" in the material, filling those pores with CA will HELP!!

You are welcome to have and express differing opinions!!!
Ed

LarryDNJR

I BELIEVE you will gain from using thin CA on Antler and any other porous, natural substance. I THINK it will reinforce the material and make it LESS LIKELY to crack.

You cannot guarantee any natural substance won't crack---heck you can't even guarantee a resin won't crack!!! But, I believe where there are "pores" in the material, filling those pores with CA will HELP!!

Ed

I'll back up Ed on this. I should have clarified that I usually will fill the pores with some ca, but overall you can buff the antler with ca filled pores all to a shine without going through the effort of putting a ca finish on. This is just my process and opinion and is definitely not fact. :)

bastallard

I turned an antler blank for a bolt action pen and I just mm thru all the grits and then ren wax, I did not have to turn it down to the rough inner part of the antler and if I had I would have used CA on it. I'm going to keep it and see what happens.

JD Combs Sr

I BELIEVE you will gain from using thin CA on Antler and any other porous, natural substance. I THINK it will reinforce the material and make it LESS LIKELY to crack. You cannot guarantee any natural substance won't crack---heck you can't even guarantee a resin won't crack!!! But, I believe where there are "pores" in the material, filling those pores with CA will HELP!!
Ed
Ditto what Ed said. Antler has a strong tendency to crack over time, especially if it is not completely cured. CA will seal it if it isn't completely dry and worst case it will lengthen the time before it cracks, best case it will prevent it.

That is my opinion FWIIW.:wink:

Top Bottom