Cigar Model from Sweden

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Umeubbe

Umeubbe

Hello from Sweden again!

Well, now I've done something new and it is a fat boy who I believe calls for cigar-model.
Damn, you must be strong in the U.S. who have the strength to write with these pens that are so heavy. :biggrin:
Anyway, I have tried to make one of Rosewood. It's not near your pens shown here at the IAP, but it was fun to make.
I look forward to your opinions and please do come with criticism as I learn to do this with pencils. I know about no one in this country who engage in this hobby.

Sincerely / Urban
Northern Sweden

DSC_0008-2.jpg

DSC_00072.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

It looks good, Urban. What are you using to finish the outside of the blanks? It has kind of a soft, satin sheen which is nice, but I think it might look better with a super glossy finish. All in all, it's a nice looking pen.

Umeubbe

Hi David!

I have just put on something called "Renaissance". I've looked at the things that can be purchased adultery various web business but have no idea what to buy. There is so much to choose from and all interested in selling their miracle cure. It's none of all the treatment resources available here, so I have no idea what to buy or not buy to avoid being cheated. :confused:

URBAN

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Urban, that explains the satin finish look. There are various finishes you shouls look into. There are a few threads in the finishing category you should take the time to read. Some of the most popular finishings are Ca, Enduro, Turner's Magic, and a few other's. I think this would drastically improve the appearance of your pens.

Jgrden

Yes, a satin finish but well proportioned. I am glad to hear you have little competition. Let's sell, sell, sell.

David Keller

Hi David!

I have just put on something called "Renaissance". I've looked at the things that can be purchased adultery various web business but have no idea what to buy. There is so much to choose from and all interested in selling their miracle cure. It's none of all the treatment resources available here, so I have no idea what to buy or not buy to avoid being cheated. :confused:

URBAN

Nothing wrong with renaissance wax, but most of us use it as a final coat to protect against finger prints and such. I would avoid most of the friction polishes as they will produce a finish very similar to what you already have with the wax. I think most folks use some form of a CA finish, so that's probably one alternative that you might want to check out. I agree with the others in that the library has some nice tutorials on applying a CA finish. YouTube is also a good source for a short video on CA techniques.

Again, there's nothing wrong with a satin finish, but if you want a little more gloss, I'd look at CA(superglue). Looking forward to seeing what you turn next.

lazyguy

Very nice looking pen indeed.
As the others said there is a wealth of information in the library section and in the finishing section. The most popular product is Cyanoacrylate glue. (Cyanakrylat lim) CA for short on this site and other places, which can be found online if you do not have a local source. Application takes some practice but not much.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
In keeping with the group. The pen appears "spot on". The finish needs help in my opinion. Check out the CA threads here on the site. If that does not appeal to you. I have had success with the Turner's Magic mentioned earlier. CA is superior but the TM is really easy and has shown to have decent results for me.

jttheclockman

Nice pen and these may be heavy but are big sellers here in the US. If no one is making pens over there you can really corner the market. I am sure you have collectors there as well as here. I am sure there are businessmen that need to strut their cash and need to have a nice pen. A little sales approach and you can be sitting on a gold mine. Go after it man.

Umeubbe

Thanks for all your replies.

David Keller is talking about a movie snippet on YouTube, but what should I look for? (Keywords),
We have CA glue here in Sweden but you really have to know how to apply it before I want to test it. Sorry I'm so awkward. :redface:

Sincerely / Urban

ldb2000

That is a very nice cigar pen Urban .
There are many videos on you tube that show how to apply a CA finish . Just type " pen finishing " into the search box .
One of the better videos there is this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zsJ...14BAEC82&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=12
I like this one because it is so simple . Too many people have problems with a CA finish because they make it too complicated . This is one time that I think "Simple is better"

Umeubbe

Thank you ldb2000

That was exactly what I wanted to see. I think it will be possible to find the right glue that is also in the form of gel. The next pen I'll try this method of treatment. :biggrin:

Sincerely / Urban from a cold Sweden

ldb2000

I'm not sure how well a gel CA would work (it's worth a try) but you could use a medium or even a thin CA , just put a few more coats on . I use a thin CA and about 10 coats with good results .

GaryMGg

Hello Urban. That's a fine looking cigar. Just the same and as good as many posted here. Don't sell yourself short. :wink:

We have CA glue here in Sweden but you really have to know how to apply it before I want to test it.

I'd say you don't have to know how to apply it before getting some to test it.
CA is inexpensive enough that you can watch an online video or two, read how folks do it, but the best way to learn a CA finish is just to try doing it.

Umeubbe

I'd say you don't have to know how to apply it before getting some to test it.
CA is inexpensive enough that you can watch an online video or two, read how folks do it, but the best way to learn a CA finish is just to try doing it.

Well, cheap, I do not agree, here in Sweden is the cost of a mini bottle with 3 grams almost $ 5. :mad: I have such a bottle and will try it next time, when it now will be. I'm waiting for more pen kits and when I get them, one never knows. Sweden is a little bit offside, you could say. :biggrin:

Sincerely / Urban

1080Wayne

Urban
For cheaper and larger containers of CA you might try a store specializing in model airplanes and similar kits . An automotive/industrial supply store should also have it . Don`t know where you are relative to Stockholm , but would think both would be found there . The automotive/industrial type store should be available in any town of 5000 population , perhaps much less .
Wayne

Umeubbe

1080Wayne Thanks for the tip.

I think you are right. My Town, Umeå with over 100,000 people are located approximately 435 miles north of Stockholm and if you find the right place so maybe you can buy CA glue cheaper even here.

Urban

Top Bottom