Cigar Leather

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PennedDown

PennedDown

I started working on this leather blank a while back. Glue a few squares, and clamp, glue a few squares and clamp, etc. etc. I finished it a week or so ago and soaked it in thin CA to absorb a good bit. Turned it this weekend and during turning soaked it a few more times with CA, but I think it turned out OK, especially the "segmented" pieces of lighter and darker colored leather mixed in. Even through 10-12 coats of thin and medium CA, you can still feel the ridges between the layers of the laether, which I think is a cool feel.
What do you think?

Attachments

• Cigar Leather #1.jpg
    Cigar Leather #1.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 288
  • Cigar Leather #2.jpg
    Cigar Leather #2.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Cigar Leather #3.jpg
    Cigar Leather #3.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Cigar Leather #6.jpg
    Cigar Leather #6.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 238
  • Cigar Leather #7.jpg
    Cigar Leather #7.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 177
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randywa

I think it looks great. I tried to make one once. The dog found it before the glue dried... The hair on the side of his face is growing back nicely

ghostrider

I think the look of the leather with CA and the black hardware is quite handsome. I can see other possibilities that are currently beyond my skill set. There's a lot of potential in that concept.

David Keller

Very cool! The coloring is reminiscent of ironwood, and the contrasting bands are a nice touch. This is probably the nicest leather pen that I've seen.

dl351

That is nice! I'm in the process of doing a leather pen right now. What kind of glue did you glue the pieces together with?

PennedDown

Thanks for all the comments!
Some people have asked and pm about the steps so here is my version:

The pieces that I used on this particular pen came from a large bag of leather I purchased at Hobby Lobby. They also have the interchangeable punch with the different size tips.

I first cut the leather in 1" wide strips and then starting cutting 1" inch strips from those, having a stack of 1 x 1 squares. I did this with the brown, black, and white to play around with the stacking on the tube for a particular look.

I then took a piece of 3/4 MDF and with the correct sized punch (the one I used on the cigar was tight to slip onto the 10mm tube), laid the strips on the MDF and punched the holes. It seems as if the MDF has enough give to it that it doesn't dull the punch but still enough rigidity to cut the leather cleanly.

I stacked the punched squares on the tube in the order I wanted. I made sure on the ends I had more than enough to go just past the tube, taking into account the clamping will compress the leather as you progress.

I only used medium CA and started building the layers just a few at a time. I did start about ¼" from the ends and anchored my first layer there. That way I could go back and fill in the ends as necessary. On most of the layers I used just a simple 12 inch bar clamp, one pad against the end of the tube, and the other pad pressured against a ½" or so i.d pipe that was compressing the layers uniformly around the tube. Does that make sense? Once completed, I soaked (and I mean "soaks till it drips") :biggrin: with thin CA and shots of accelerator. When I felt that all layers had soaked in enough CA, I trimmed the edges on a sander, and started turning with a small spindle gouge, the woodchuck, and then final shaping with a skew. All the time I was doing this, I would stop the lathe on a constant basis and if the leather looked "dry" I would soak and spray again. Once final shape was there, I sanded through 800-1200 and then coated it with BLO, and sanded again from about 600-1200 ( The BLO seemed to "raise" the leather somewhat like wood will do). After 8-10 coats of thin CA the first few and medium to finish it out this was the result.

Again, thanks for all the nice compliments.

shadrach1944

Fantastic creation

This looks Fantastic! I tried the leather using a hole punch set and they came out pretty good, but not nearly as great as yours. I didn't use as much CA but I will try it again soon. I added some Birdseye maple too.

Attachments

• June29size01.jpg
    June29size01.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 85
  • June29size11.jpg
    June29size11.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 74
Top Bottom