Cigar Illusion (new version)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MartinPens

MartinPens

Working to improve the look of the ash and the diameter of the piece.
Also someone mentioned that I should try putting the ash part in the cap. It took me a while to get my brain flipped around, but it makes more sense to do it this way.

The wood is Koa and the ash is Grey Buckeye. The pen uses parts from the Churchill kit and the Gentleman's kit.

Thanks to Lee (leestoresund) for the cigar label!

There are things I like about it and things I don't like about it.
The finish is a little tung oil and later a couple coats of thin CA buffed with 0000steal wool. (I don't like glossy cigars)

Enjoy. Comments always welcome.

Martin

Attachments

• Illusion4-1.jpg
    Illusion4-1.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 649
  • Illusion4-2.jpg
    Illusion4-2.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 482
  • Illusion4-3.jpg
    Illusion4-3.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 584
  • Illusion4-4.jpg
    Illusion4-4.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 389

PaulDoug

Looks like you are a master at these. I can't get my mind around how you make the ash look so real. I've got to try one of these someday when I get good at pen making. Very nice. Now just add a pen box that looks like a nice cigar box ....

ossaguy

That's a real work of art,it looks so much like the real thing.

Fantastic job,Martin!

Steve

MartinPens

Search cigar illusion in the "show off" thread. Not sure if I've tried red, but I photoshopped in some smoke on earlier versions. (as in the avitar) May need to do that with this one.

I love getting comments about my "ash" :eek:- just not so much from the guys. :biggrin:

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Last edited:

workinforwood

they amaze me every time I see one you do Martin. I do like it better with the ash on the end of the pen not the cap. It makes more sense to me that way, as the pen is what you right with not the cap.

wizard

Martin, As usual, another stunning and creative pen!!! I wish I had the know how to put parts and surround it with wood together to create such a work of art. Thanks so much for showing! Regards, Doc

Andrew_K99

Great looking pen Martin. I was hoping to try putting the ash on the cap end before you got to it! The other comment I made, which IMO, would make this pen look that much nicer, would be to add a lower label so one edge is at the seam, so it hides it.

I hope to try a few of these when my labels get here (thanks to you!!) :biggrin:

AK

wiset1

Looks awesome as always, and I like that you're going back to these. The use of the Grey Buckeye truly adds class to the pen and a bit of realism. The Koa looks a lot like some curly walnut I had over here. I cut about 80 blanks from a board I had here and shipped it back with my stuff. I'll have to send you some to work with when we finally make it back. They are an inch square by six long so the closed end should work. Anyways...awesome pen!

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Okay Martin . . . Great Ash!

really nice pen. this has always fascinated me - how the ash can look so real. I can almost smell my grandfather's cigar just looking at it.

MartinPens

CSue said:
Okay Martin . . . Great Ash!

really nice pen. this has always fascinated me - how the ash can look so real. I can almost smell my grandfather's cigar just looking at it.

: ). LOL. Thanks Sue

Martin

MartinPens

Thanks everyone!
Sue - my grandfather smoked cigars too. I'm glad these don't smell like cigars!

I'm trying to track down where I got the nice grey buckeye from. It's so perfect for ash. And would also like to thank whoever suggested switching the ash to the other end. Makes sense now! Duh! These do take a little longer than 20 min to make. ; )

Martin

MartinPens

Andrew,

Go for it! I look forward to seeing what you come up with. These are fun to make, but I don't find them very stylistically enjoyable to write with. I'm working on an idea to maintain the illusion and yet have a stylistically pleasing pen. Haven't been able to get it to come out yet, but it's the challenge that I'm enjoying.

I need to make one for the guy at the cigar shop. He doesn't seem to care much about the style, he just likes that it looks like a cigar AND it's a functional pen.

The ash is not horribly difficult. Just get a nice gray piece of buckeye - take a Dremmel to it and add some black here and there. There are still a few ways to make it look more like ash, but it's a work in progress. Getting rid of that middle line is the next challenge.

Thanks for the comments

Martin

MartinPens

Thanks Joe. Looking forward to some self threaded pieces from you. One of my ideas would require I purchase a tap and die set, but I'm not there yet. I may jump in soon, though.

Martin

TexasTaxi

If it's lit, which is indicated by the ash, it needs to have the other end cut off, punched, or V notched ... you can't smoke without cutting the end of a "real" cigar! :rolleyes:

I'm just kidding, that's friggin awesome! Even the ash looks amazingly real!

Woodlvr

Beautiful work Martin. Cigar pens are not "my thing" BUT that is beautiful work. I cannot wrap my head around how you make the ash look so real. I try to imagine a piece of Grey Buckeye roughed up but it eludes me. My comment about "not my thing"
is personal because smoking and alcohol took my father early from me-nothing personal to you. Thanks for showing your beautiful work.

MartinPens

I understand

Beautiful work Martin. Cigar pens are not "my thing" BUT that is beautiful work. I cannot wrap my head around how you make the ash look so real. I try to imagine a piece of Grey Buckeye roughed up but it eludes me. My comment about "not my thing"
is personal because smoking and alcohol took my father early from me-nothing personal to you. Thanks for showing your beautiful work.

Mike,
I understand where you are coming from. My grandfather died at an early age from lung cancer - he smoked cigars.
My wife is a physician and teaches smoking cessation to medical students. She wasn't thrilled with the idea. She has complimented the creativity involved, but really doesn't care for anything associated with tobacco. I understand that. I haven't felt any great conflicts in me. I'm not a smoker and for me it isn't about smoking - but I can understand the connection and respect those that oppose it - even in the form of emulation in art (craftsmanship).

Thanks for the compliments. Creativity is what I value.

Martin

Top Bottom