Cigar Illusion(15) with Vegas Band

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MartinPens

MartinPens

Here is the latest Cigar Illlusion which I finally got to finish up this morning. I am beginning to number these so I can keep track of how many I've made. This is #0015 with a Vegas Band (Thanks Jim Burr!)

The Koa used is a crosscut piece and shows more of the pitted grain than my usual selection, but I don't mind it. The photos pick it up much more than the eye.

Enjoy

Martin

Attachments

• Cigar Illusion 15-2622.jpg
    Cigar Illusion 15-2622.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 517
  • Cigar Illusion 15-2623.jpg
    Cigar Illusion 15-2623.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 599
  • Cigar Illusion 15-2625.jpg
    Cigar Illusion 15-2625.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 988
  • Cigar Illusion 15-2626.jpg
    Cigar Illusion 15-2626.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 960
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

It's amazing how real you make these look! The Koa looks awesome for this style of work! True master of the art!!!!

Parson

I'd love to know how you make the ash look so real! I know you use a Dremel, but what tip or bit do you use and how do you use it?

Roos85

Thanks for the info about your photography setup. Unfortunately thats a lot more than I am willing to spend. I have a Nikon D3100 so I have a good camera just need to find a good way to take pics without breaking the bank...

scotian12

Hi Martin....great looking cigar pen and up to your usual high standards. Your picture gives me the impression that the cigar band is just sitting on the top of he wood. Is it embedded in ca to keep it attached? Darrell Eisner

MartinPens

I attach the band snuggly, but not permanently. My goal is to replicate an actual cigar. Some clients want their own vintage bands on them. If a particular band is decided on, I will secure the band with the slightest amount of CA. The band has texture and I like to be able to feel that, not cover over it with CA.

Thanks for he comments.

Last edited:

MartinPens

I have tried a vriety of finishes from thin CA to tung oil. Sometimes it depends on the wood. I like to stay away from CA. I haven't found a finish that will not darken the ash, so no finish yet on the ash. I sometimes use a spray sealer. I am currently experimenting with wax.

RogerH

I'm sure whatever superlatives I could muster have already been used about your pens, but here goes. They are absolutely amazing. I should think that cigar smokers would fall all over themselves to buy your products. Amazing and beautiful. There are so many immaginative and gorgeous products shown on this website, but yours are up there with the best, IMHO. Truly a "wow" !

MartinPens

sbell111 said:
Wow! Howdya do that???

: )
You crack me up.
For those who want to know the inside joke on this... See casual conversation "Can of Worms" and weigh in on the conversation if you wish. : )

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

sbell111

Thanks for the info about your photography setup. Unfortunately thats a lot more than I am willing to spend. I have a Nikon D3100 so I have a good camera just need to find a good way to take pics without breaking the bank...

You need not spend a ton of money to get good pics. Your Nikon is actually 'better' than the old 20ds that Martin and I use. You likely have the 18-55 VR lens for it. That's sufficient.

Instead of Martin's $100 light tent, pop over to ebay or amazon and pic up a photo tent/box for 20 or 30 bucks.

As far as lights, I went with a couple gooseneck lamps that I think I paid five bucks a piece for. I added mini spot bulbs from home depot and they work fine for my purpose.

MartinPens

sbell111 said:
You need not spend a ton of money to get good pics. Your Nikon is actually 'better' than the old 20ds that Martin and I use. You likely have the 18-55 VR lens for it. That's sufficient.

Instead of Martin's $100 light tent, pop over to ebay or amazon and pic up a photo tent/box for 20 or 30 bucks.

As far as lights, I went with a couple gooseneck lamps that I think I paid five bucks a piece for. I added mini spot bulbs from home depot and they work fine for my purpose.

I would like to respond to this... with the hesitancy of shifting this thread in a direction that better fits a different forum section.... (this topic has been covered 100 times in the photography section - just go there and start reading!)

It is certainly true that there are cheaper methods that make for great photos. I would argue that a good setup and knowledge of white light balance and metering can make a big difference in how much time is spent AFTER the photo is taken. With my light tent (nothing really special about it) and my lighting (5600K cool lights ARE special) and my light metering (19% gray with the ExpoDisc) I spend NO time adjusting or correcting exposure or light balance (color) after the photo is taken. I upload to Lightroom and get rid of dust with a few clicks and hit a button with auto export functions to post on IAP.

I am a graphic design and photography nerd.... so it is necessary for me to believe that my process is special! : ) : ) And I believe that it was well worth the cost to be able to take five quick photos and upload a great pic online under 10 minutes. And for marketing purposes, I want the customer to say "It looks just like the photo!" That includes colors and detail.

Last edited:

islandturner

sbell111

sbell111 said:

I would like to respond to this... with the hesitancy of shifting this thread in a direction that better fits a different forum section.... (this topic has been covered 100 times in the photography section - just go there and start reading!)

It is certainly true that there are cheaper methods that make for great photos. I would argue that a good setup and knowledge of white light balance and metering can make a big difference in how much time is spent AFTER the photo is taken. With my light tent (nothing really special about it) and my lighting (5600K cool lights ARE special) and my light metering (19% gray with the ExpoDisc) I spend NO time adjusting or correcting exposure or light balance (color) after the photo is taken. I upload to Lightroom and get rid of dust with a few clicks and hit a button with auto export functions to post on IAP.

I am a graphic design and photography nerd.... so it is necessary for me to believe that my process is special! : ) : ) And I believe that it was well worth the cost to be able to take five quick photos and upload a great pic online under 10 minutes. And for marketing purposes, I want the customer to say "It looks just like the photo!" That includes colors and detail.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that your way isn't very, very good. My post was merely to help Roos85 wiith his quest for good pictures without spending large dollars.

MartinPens

tim self said:
WOW. I just looked up your PMG submission and you've improved by leaps and bounds. Amazing work.

It has been a fun process. It was the cuban mahogany pen blanks that I received that gave me the impression of wood with ash. The ash part on my PMG submission is completely just the wood grain. I burnt the end, but apart from that it is just the way the wood came to me. I had never seen a cigar replica pen and got the idea from that wood. Thanks!

Top Bottom