cigar deception

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DHappold

DHappold

My fourth one of these and I continue to learn something new each time. This time my lesson was 1/4 turn hardware is not a good idea on something like this that you need to line up correctly each time. Traded this one for two months of daily coffee from the local coffee vendor!

Attachments

• sc_cigar1.jpg
    sc_cigar1.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 423
  • sc-cigar.jpg
    sc-cigar.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 322
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Excellent interpretation. I like the apparent shortness (stubbiness?) as it evokes a cigar that has been smoked down. Well done.

DHappold

Excellent interpretation. I like the apparent shortness (stubbiness?) as it evokes a cigar that has been smoked down. Well done.
Thanks, Actually it is exactly the dimensions of the original cigar with the tip of the cigar to the end of the ashes. It was a lot fatter than the last one I did. This one is just under an inch in diameter the last one I did was 3/4" and it shows.

DHappold

I like it! Very nice job. Is that an Atrax?
Its called a "New Series" several vendors carry it. But beware of the 1/4 turn and lining up parts. The one I prefer for these is actually the artisan rollerball. Just me I dont like other kits because I dont like metal into plastic threads I prefer metal to metal.
Thanks for the comments!

Dale Allen

[/quote]Its called a "New Series" several vendors carry it. But beware of the 1/4 turn and lining up parts. The one I prefer for these is actually the artisan rollerball. Just me I dont like other kits because I dont like metal into plastic threads I prefer metal to metal.
Thanks for the comments![/quote]

That is why I prefer to use burl woods. Most times if the lineup isn't exact, it isn't as noticeable.
Nice job BTW. Next step is to make the top look like it was cut or punched as smoking it that far would have required it to be.

DHappold

That is why I prefer to use burl woods. Most times if the lineup isn't exact, it isn't as noticeable.
Nice job BTW. Next step is to make the top look like it was cut or punched as smoking it that far would have required it to be.[/quote]

Thanks Dale. I must admit I have admired your cigar pens so a compliment from you means a lot! I think your right about burl it also resembles some of the cigar wrappers I have seen. I don't smoke cigars so I have to look on the internet for reference. Your ashes are superior, do you use buckeye burl? any tips on the ash? I also like when you just have the end with no ash.

Dale Allen

I use unstabilized buckeye burl for the ash.
Lots of carving, staining with black paint and then overpainting with dirtied white paint, dirtied with pencil lead. It's a learned technique that you just have to work at.
The rolled ends are thin strips of brown paper with wood shavings glued on, then rolled into a curl and glued into a recess.
Black ash burl is a good one to use. Also redwood burl, myrtle burl, and claro walnut, all stabilized. Stay away from maple burl...it will twist and deform while you are sleeping!

Top Bottom