Churchill in Holly and Purpleheart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jtate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtate

Churchill in Holly and Purpleheart.
I'm trying segmenting (using just my humble miter-box and hand saw).
This is using some purpleheart which I heated in the oven to get the color to be more vibrant and some purpleheart which I hadn't heated. Just for comparison.

I know about the crack. I couldn't help it. I just thought I'd go ahead and complete it even though the blank did crack.

Comments are welcome

Julia

DSCN0478a-2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kirkfranks

Very nice work with the segmenting.
It is a shame it cracked. Can you tell more about when the purple heart saw the oven? Was it after turning? Is that what caused the crack?

Thanks for showing.

jtate

I recently posted pics of two pieces of purpleheart - one had been in the oven and one hadn't. 350 degrees for 15 minutes. These are the pieces I used in this pen.
purpleheart.jpg

The crack was my fault. I glued it up and was excited to get it drilled and turned. I didn't wait long enough or didn't keep the pressure on the glue joint long enough. As I drilled it, it seperated at the glue joint and cracked the top piece of holly. That crack is the one you see here, now filled with purpleheart dust and CA. Since I'd done all that work already I decided to go ahead and glue it back together and turn it. I really wanted to see how it turned out and, besides, I had a limited amount of holly to mess around with. I figured I could turn another cap later if this one didn't work out.

BigRob777

I just love the contrast and the way the colors compliment each other. I'd have finished the pen too. Keep it up. I've only done one segmented pen and it wasn't nearly as complicated as yours.
Rob

GaryMGg

Julia,
Send me a PM w/ your address; I'll send ya some holly. It'd be a crying shame if you don't have material to make another one && I've got a huge block of holly.
[8D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom