Churchill in Gmelia Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from edavisj316

edavisj316

This is my first large body pen. I really like the feel of the pen. Can't wait to do something like a Cambridge. I picked up a box of the gmelia blanks off of ebay a few months ago. I did one on a Sierra and have let the rest sit. This blank was very punky. I went through a lot of CA just to get it turned. I think the time and effort was worth it, but I think I will wait until I have avacuum chamber to stabilize the rest before I do any more of them.

Thanks for looking and your comments and critiques are, as always, greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• pens 037.jpg
    pens 037.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 300
  • pens 039.jpg
    pens 039.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 238
  • pens 047.jpg
    pens 047.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 240
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edavisj316

Yet another burl i didn't know about. Wonderful!

I had never heard of this wood. I found it on ebay and decided to give it a try. The research that I did indicated that the wood is most common to India. It is also known by Gmelina Arborea and the common name is Gamhar. It is not as spectacular as a lot of the Afzalia burls I have seen on here. But I was pleased with both blanks that I have turned.

wizard

I've never heard of that wood, but you made one beautiful pen out of it!
I really like the contrast of the black of the kit and the the wood. Makes it very stately looking. Thank you for sharing. Regards, Doc

Top Bottom