IMG_0002.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 156
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I like the wood.

Is there a reason why you left the wood so much bigger than the ends?

Even if you like the center fatter, it's generally best to fit the ends to the hardware.

Hi Dan,

The wood is pretty glamour-less packing wood, from machinery part crates. normally on ships we incinerate these woods away!
You are absolutely right. I left the ends wider than the hardware because I do not have a lathe at home now. I was not sure if I can make it uniform all around by hand. Later I will do the rounding.

I like the wood.

Is there a reason why you left the wood so much bigger than the ends?

Even if you like the center fatter, it's generally best to fit the ends to the hardware.

Hi Dan,
Taking the cue from your advise, I finally summoned up enough courage and dismantled the cap. Sanded the end into a hex shape , then two more hexes on top of that and finally rounded of by sanding. Thanks for your comment, I could do this without having a lathe machine. The barrel too requires a bit of similar treatment , will do that once I have some free time. here are some photos, sure it is closer to what you advised.
Warm regards
Soumitra

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 84

Dan Masshardt

Hi Dan, Taking the cue from your advise, I finally summoned up enough courage and dismantled the cap. Sanded the end into a hex shape , then two more hexes on top of that and finally rounded of by sanding. Thanks for your comment, I could do this without having a lathe machine. The barrel too requires a bit of similar treatment , will do that once I have some free time. here are some photos, sure it is closer to what you advised. Warm regards Soumitra

More importantly, do you like it better? It doesn't matter as much what I think. You are the creator.

I like it

Sure I do. Actually have tried to re-do same on some earlier pens, the only problem is that of the ocassional chipped egdes repaired by CA and wood dust gives a colour mismatch problem. Have started to make the job in one step only for the new ones and generally trying to ignore 7 live with the older shortfalls!!

Top Bottom