Chrome Zen on a Brooks803 blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bobalu

Bobalu

This is my latest effort though sadly one that I'll soon dismantle. It's a chrome Zen on an orange and white blank that I asked Jonathon Brooks to make for me. I pushed a little too hard as I was installing the lower barrel end cap.I heard a sound that was distinctively that of plastic cracking. I didn't see it at first, but eventually saw a small distortion in the plastic that wasn't swirl. Thankfully I have 4 more blanks like this, but it's a shame to waste even one that is this pretty.

Attachments

• IMG_4390.JPG
    IMG_4390.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_4396.JPG
    IMG_4396.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 276
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EarlD

Yes, Bob, it's a shame to break that blank. It looks good enough to eat. Let us see the next one.
Earl

Bobalu

I may hold off on the demolition for awhile. I'm sitting here trying to find the crack this morning and can't spot it. I've got some service calls to make in TN next week. I think I'll take it with me and see if it gets any interest.

Haynie

Nice. I needed to find a small crack in a piece of plastic once. If you get some flour or powdered sugar and wipe it around the pen, if the crack is really there the powder should show it. If the powder does not show it I would not worry about it.

Bobalu

Nice. I needed to find a small crack in a piece of plastic once. If you get some flour or powdered sugar and wipe it around the pen, if the crack is really there the powder should show it. If the powder does not show it I would not worry about it.

Thanks for the tip. I gave your suggestion a try with some flour. I did not detect a crack in the barrel using this method, but it sure pointed out that my pen mill isn't giving me the best cut. The flour found just the tiniest of a gap between the barrel and the hardware. Now that I have some sunlight to view the pen in, I can see a line that might be an internal fracture. Then again, it might just be the reflection created by the pigment. Time will tell.

BTW - Just in case Penman1 should see this post, the flour I used was White Lily. Wouldn't be caught with any other flour on my pens. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Bobalu

Beautiful Pen! I'm starting to like those Zen kits.

Thanks. I've become quite fond of this pen style myself. Easier to make than a Sierra, yet a much more elegant looking finished product. I love the magnetic cap, and wish there were more pens out there with this feature. PSI offers the Magnetic Vertex, but its utilitarian design doesn't put it in the same class.

ToddMR

I think it is a pretty good looking blank. Pitty you might have to trash it, but great you have more. I need to do a Zen at some point. I keep telling myself that. The swirls in that are awesome.

Bobalu

Top Bottom