Chrome Slimline dressed up in Black Palm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
This pen made me a bit nervous, I've never turned black palm before and I heard about others that had blanks fly apart or had lots of chip outs. I used thin CA on each end of the blanks after the cut them to size and once I drilled them I used thin CA on the inside about 3 coats and then re-drilled.
The blanks turned rather nicely and I only had one small chip out. I used a roughing gouge and carbide cutter on it and used a very light touch. I sanded to 12000 mm and finished with WTF. I have another black palm blank I'm going to try with out as much CA to see what happens. Evelyn really likes the pen. All C & C are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 203
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Nice pen ! Nice colors ! Where'd you get the black palm ? .... I'd like to try it.

rtyler8140

Looks like it came out great! I've turned a few black palm pens before without running any CA on them. Just glued the tubes it, trimmed the ends and went to turning. Had some tear out, but took it slow and left it a little oversize to sand out any imperfections.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for all the great comment's. Mal Evelyn picked them out at Woodcraft.The one we go to in Norfolk, VA. Has a small bin full of blanks for $1.00 each.

wob50

Nice. I was looking at some last time I was at Acadian Cypress in Ponchatoula, LA but was told to stabilize before turning and well, it went back on the shelf, when my skill gets better ( hope my skill gets better ) I will try it I like the grain of it.

PapaTim

Good looking pen. Black palm can be a challenge. Just use sharp tools and make the last few cuts light. I've never stabilized and use WTF when I want a softer sheen, CA only when I want more gloss. BTW, red palm turns the same.

Top Bottom