Chrome Bowtie in Lapis Lazuli

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hilltopper46

hilltopper46

I wanted to make one of the Bowtie pens to see how it went together. I also wanted to make a pen in Lapis Lazuli TruStone.

I'm not sure it was the best match - comments welcome.

1_IMGP1429.jpg

And with the clip showing...

1_IMGP1432.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marc Phillips

Heya....

I am not familiar with that kit... so I went looking around the internet when I saw your post...

It *looks* like a cigar basically.... but costs 3 times more.

Can you tell what refinements or better mechanism or whatever else makes this kit cost so much more than a cigar?

Thanks...

hilltopper46

This pen is similar to the cigar in that it uses 10 mm tubes and a double twist transmission. That is pretty much where the similarity stops unless you think it is styled like the cigar. The bottom tube length is longer than the cigar, and the bushings for each end are sized the same. The top tube is approximately the same length as the cigar.

The nib is pressed directly into the lower tube. A trim ring is added to the nib and captured between the lower tube and the nib.

The upper end of the lower barrel has a coupler that is similar to the cigar, but that is smaller in diameter. When assembled, this coupler is hid inside the center band on the upper barrel.

The lower end of the upper barrel has a center band with 4 (yes, that is f-o-u-r) trim rings. The two chrome rings are sized identically, but the black rings are sized differently.

The clip end of the upper barrel has a plain black finial that captures the clip and presses directly into the upper barrel. A trim ring is captured between the finial and the clip. HOWEVER -- BEFORE you press the finial into the barrel, you press a tube into the bottom end of the finial that captures and drives the transmission.

Last edited:
Top Bottom