Christmas Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from AlexL

AlexL

This is my first post showing my pens

Here are a few of the pens I made as Christmas gifts this year.

This first group is for a customer who owns a sawmill. He wanted pens made for himself, his wife and his two brothers from a 100+ year old oak tree from their family farm. The wood is feathered oak from crotch wood, the wood where the main tree trunk splits into two other trunks. I used a CA finish on all the pens.

1_Scott_Smiths_Pens.jpg

Here is a close up of his wife's pen. It had a lot of cracks and voids that needed to be filled to make the pen smooth. The picture shows little white spots that you can't see with your eyes. My Dad thinks it was something with the lighting when we took the picture.

1_Scotts_Wifes_pen.jpg

Here is a close up of his pen, a Wall St II. This was made from the same blank as his wife's pen. There was only about 8" of wood with this grain in the board he gave me. This pen and his wife's pen were cut with the grain.

1_Scotts_pen.jpg

This was actually the first pen I made for the board. The big void is actually the end of the bark from the center of the two tree trunks. He didn't really like the look of the void and chose not to buy this pen. This pen and the other two for his brothers are cut cross grain.

1_Wall_ST_II_feathered_oak.jpg

This pen is a Navigator screw cap roller ball I made as a gift for my Grandma. It is made of ebony with a CA finish. My dad bought me some Novus polish from MLK Woodworking which really made the CA shine.:biggrin:

1_Navagator_ebony_closed.jpg

1_Navagator_ebony_open.jpg

This is a european pen and pencil set for my Aunt made from cross grain bloodwood

1_European_Pen_Pencil_Set_Gold_-_Bloodwood.jpg

The last pen is a European screw cap roller ball for my uncle. It is from big leaf maple.

1_European_screw_cap_Big_Leaf_Maple.jpg

I made a bunch of other pens for Christmas too but these were the best

Alex
Pens for College

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woody350ep

Is this George's son from over at WN? If so, I knew I recognized the finishes, which are great. All these pens are fantastic. I finally got my CA down. That plastic polish REALLY makes a difference doesn't it?

AlexL

Is this George's son from over at WN? If so, I knew I recognized the finishes, which are great. All these pens are fantastic. I finally got my CA down. That plastic polish REALLY makes a difference doesn't it?

Hey Woody! Yes, it's me. My Dad says hi. he used to work for Snap-on and was the equipment rep for AM General. He still talks about the tour he took. alex

woody350ep

Cool. Glad to see you over here posting some pens. These guys sure know their stuff. If you have any questions at all, they will be the ones to know the answers.

bitshird

Alex good work on those pens, Oak isn't the easiest wood to make look good, but you did an excellent job, the Euros are very nice and the Ebony has a shine that looks about a foot deep, heck all of your pens are beautiful, look forward to seeing more of your work.

AlexL

Very nice work. The oak is beautiful - did you have a little left over? Nice job an the finishes and photos.

Thanks, I have enough left to make 2 or 3 more pens. The piece I have left is like the 2 Wall St II pens on the right not the european, all the straight grain is gone alex

USAFVET98

Alex,
Do you have any more of that feathered oak from crotch wood? I would love to buy a piece or two if you do. That stuff is beatiful.. Or, I have some wood for trade as well..

DSallee

Alex... those are some GREAT looking pens! Awesome looking finish too!!! And SUPERB pictures!!! A couple questions for you...

What finish process did you use?

What did you use to take these pictures? Those Euro's just POP!!!

Thanks
Dave

Last edited:

VisExp

Alex, your craftsmanship and photography are excellent. I also commend you on working to raise funds for your college. Your parents must be proud of you!

AlexL

Alex... those are some GREAT looking pens! Awesome looking finish too!!! And SUPERB pictures!!! A couple questions for you...

What finish process did you use?

What did you use to take these pictures? Those Euro's just POP!!!

Thanks
Dave

Thanks Dave, the finish is CA. On these pens I only used thin CA. It took a long time to build the finish because of the cracks and voids in the wood. I usually use either thin and thick CA or CA/BLO but I've been having problems on my last few pens so I tried something new. The ebony Navigator was easy because the wood is so smooth after sanding and the blank is flat. The europeans with the curves were harder because I would sand through the ca in spots. My process is sand all the way to 2000, clean with compressed air, wipe on a coat of thin ca and let it soak and dry for several minutes then slowly build several coats of thin ca with a shot of accelerator in between. I sand with 600 or 800 between coats to get rid of ridges. When the ca is smooth I sand to micro mesh 12000 and polish with Novus 3 step polish

My dad takes the pictures for me. He uses a Canon Rebel XT on a Bogen monopod. The camera is set to aperture priority on f14 or higher. The background is just a piece of grey felt my mom had left over and the lighting is from the florescent lights in our workshop. I don't really understand the camera settings I only do video. :cool:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=26591&ppuser=2069

alex
Pens for College

Last edited:

AlexL

Alex,
Do you have any more of that feathered oak from crotch wood? I would love to buy a piece or two if you do. That stuff is beatiful.. Or, I have some wood for trade as well..

Sorry, I only have a very small piece left and it was part of my payment for the pens I made. I can ask the guy from the sawmill if he has any more

alex
Pens for College

Top Bottom