Christmas Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from davidrei

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidrei

Critques are most welcome, I've only been making pens since August and I'm eager to learn.

The pen on top is for Mom. I was on a business trip last week to Sydney Australia, & picked up a pair of tiny loose opals. The pen is a Designer twist (platinum), the wood is pink ivory (the opals are kind of hard to see in the upper part of the pen). Finnish is CA/BLO with PPP topcoat. I'm happy with the inlayed opals, kind of "eh." on the shape of the pen. All in all though, it still beats the heck out of the last hand made Christmas present I gave her (ceramic ash tray back in 4th grade)

I saw Kenn Osborne's article on polychromatic segmented pens and had to try it in a cigar pen. The woods are padouk, zebra wood, redwood burl and myrtle. Finnish is Hut Crystal Coat with PPP. I'm happy with the glue up, but kinda wish I had turned it a little slimmer. That one's for Dad

The top one is for grandma. It's a streamline pen made from deer antler. This one is a bit of a 'franken-pen'. I used left over pieces from 3 different sets of antlers. I didn't have a single piece large enough for the upper barrel, so I used 2 pieces. I still didn't have enough to cut the joint perfectly square, so there is a small gap between the 2 pieces. To cover it up, I turned a channel over the gap with a parting tool, then filled the channel with a mixture of thick CA and some very fine copper filings, using a small piece of plastic as a spatula to work it in. Finnish is straight CA.

I think these will be a hit this Christmas, but all I see when I look at them is the little mistakes here and there. Oh well, motivation to make more pens:)

2005122053326_Christmas_pens.jpg

Looks like you are well on your way. If you will lay all yur pens same directions (parallel) then resize your pic to 600 pixels width, your pics will be improved.

MDWine

Don't worry about what YOU see.
When you hand someone the pen, just ask "what do you think", don't point out anything you consider to be a flaw! Chances are they won't see the flaw... just a nicely done pen done especially for them!!

Nice work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom