Christmas gifts - Tubeless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chatham PenWorks

My first attempt at a closed end. No tubes. made from purple PVC. Used El Grande parts. Can't tell in the pics, put it actually has a subtle grain pattern in the material.

image-2334152066.jpg

image-1102424860.jpg

These are a UK component set. Those in the second and third pics have no tubes. I love the semitransparent look. The pic are bad, but you can change the look of them by changing refills. I have a red bodied refill in the creamy one.

image-3420831400.jpg

image-700312882.jpg

image-2534735298.jpg

I like the effect you get by bypassing the tubes. It won't work with all styles and materials, but I will be trying it more.
I'll try to get some better pics later, as they will be going to family.

As always, compliments AND critiques are always welcome. Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

The tube-less pens here are great, but how do you keep the 'kit parts' pressed in? I would think the drill sizes would need to be stepped down to a tighter(smaller) hole in order to retain the 'parts'......

Scott (well turned) B

Thanks for commenting Scott. Yes, the drill bits were all downsized until the bushing fit, but the parts would not. Once they were turned, I chamfered the ends, and pressed together as usual. The desk pen parts were pressed in by hand, so I added some locktite.

When the family came over, I let them choose which they wanted. 3 of them went straight for the creamy one you see the refill through. My sister won that fight, since she's the Mommy. I also have to make another for my mom. :) Though I really like the effect, I wasn't sure how it would go over with others. I have to admit that it felt good to have family fighting over a couple of them. :))

Haynie

I tried making a couple tubeless acrylic pens but the blanks cracked. Like you I sized for the bushings. Is there a secret to the blanks not cracking?

I put a good chamfer on the ends, before assembly. Just enough to barely get the pieces started straight, by hand. That keeps them from going in crooked, and I believe the chamfer keeps the pressure off the leading edge.

Top Bottom