Christmas gift pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Deputy

Deputy

I've just recently started turning pens and these are just a few that I've turned as gifts. I'm still learning to finish them however I'm pleased with how these turned out. The pen sleeves were sewn by my better half, The Boss.
Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy!

1ef30da48358736a18f22e406efad649.jpg

23266b240c7e3fd86acfff236d0115ba.jpg

e4038a10faec8d64e35cf33dfa93ca1b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

A Terrific Presentation of Pens, and Pen Sleeves, Jamie.
I hope you have kept one of your Earlier Pens, so that you can refer your progress to your earliest Pens.
There are some pens, that I feel I should make a Constructive comments on for your Benefit.
With the First Two Pens Displayed, the Center Band Diameter is far greater than the Blank, both on the Nib End as well as the Clip End, both Diameters, should be the same as the Center Bush.
Also it appears, that you have some Circumferential Scratches, on these two Pens, these can be avoided by after each grit size, sand lightly the Blank Longitudinally.
For my taste, I would have preferred that those Blanks, were turned Similar to the remaining 5 Pens.
Those 5 pens are Terrific, Great Fit and Finish.
Spectacular Blanks.
Please take my Comments in the Spirit in which they are Given
Congratulations.
Brian.

Last edited:

Deputy

A Terrific Presentation of Pens, and Pen Sleeves, Jamie.
I hope you have kept one of your Earlier Pens, so that you can refer your progress to your earliest Pens.
There are some pens, that I feel I should make a Constructive comments on for your Benefit.
With the First Two Pens Displayed, the Center Band Diameter is far greater than the Blank, both on the Nib End as well as the Clip End, both Diameters, should be the same as the Center Bush.
Also it appears, that you have some Circumferential Scratches, on these two Pens, these can be avoided by after each grit size, sand lightly the Blank Longitudinally.
For my taste, I would have preferred that those Blanks, were turned Similar to the remaining 5 Pens.
Those 5 pens are Terrific, Great Fit and Finish.
Spectacular Blanks.
Please take my Comments in the Spirit in which they are Given
Congratulations.
Brian.
Hi OZturner and thank you for the feedback! I do appreciate the points you've made and design critique. Those two pens were turned at the request of a customer who wanted the thicker blanks for a more hefty pen. They are all finished with CA with the exception of the darker pen, which is Chechen. The Chechen pen has an oil finish.

I have kept the first two pens I turned for reference, both of which are slimline pens turned from Tulip wood. I'm still learning and look forward to making more and definitely working on my finishes.

Thank you again for your time and helpful information!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

mecompco

Great job for some first pens! I have to agree with Oz on the two "pregnant" pens. If a recipient wants a larger pen, I think it is best to start with a larger pen. A Cigar in this case, rather than a European would have provided a larger pen with a more pleasing profile. Again, this is just MHO, and if the recipient is happy, that's what counts! :)

Regards,
Michael

Deputy

Great job for some first pens! I have to agree with Oz on the two "pregnant" pens. If a recipient wants a larger pen, I think it is best to start with a larger pen. A Cigar in this case, rather than a European would have provided a larger pen with a more pleasing profile. Again, this is just MHO, and if the recipient is happy, that's what counts! :)

Regards,
Michael
Hi Michael and thank you for your perspective on the pens. I agree with both you and Oz there could've been other kit choices and design change for a more pleasing pen. The recipients are happy with them and hopefully continue to appreciate them.
Thanks for your time and suggestions, I'll definitely choose more wisely in the future turning more pens.
Jamie

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom