Christmas Gift for My Sis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TBone

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBone

Bloodwood with BOW Cross. Thanks to Lyle for the blank. Sorry for the picture quality, should've diffused the light more. First CA finish (at least the first one I've been willing to show). Still not great, but it's an improvement. Anyone have a tip on how to avoid the sanding dust from the bloodwood showing on the cross?

Bloodwood-BOW%20Cross%200019A.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

drayman

tommy, a very nice looking pen, you done great.try wipeing with acetone after every grit, or give it a blast with air.[;)]

Nolan

Best way to stop bleed over IMHO is to coat lighter wood with thin CA as you go so it never has open grain for dust to settle into. PM me if this doesnt make sence.

Rick_G

nice looking pen and blank. As far as the sanding dust problem I usually wipe down with denatured alcohol after each grit. Seems to have worked for me so far.

rherrell

Nice pen Tommy! I had that bleeding problem when I made one of those Grand Piano pens, except the wood was African Blackwood and Holly. I had to turn it all the way down with a skew and then sand it with the lathe off. Took a long time but it came out nice.

TBone

Thanks for the comments guys. This was my first Sierra as well as the cross blank. My sister was thrilled over the cross as well as the pen being larger for her to handle (she is an OLDER sister, good thing she won't see that comment [:D])

I will definitely try the CA and acetone on my next pen of mixed woods, thanks for the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom