Christmas gift for Aunt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ToddMR

ToddMR

So my aunt a while ago said she wanted a really nice wooden pen, possibly a fountain pen. I sent her a list of wood last week and she said she likes it all, but one of her favorites was antique pine. Lucky for her I had a blank of antique long leaf pine. I didn't have a lot of money so I bought a gold Classic American Fountain kit from WC. I never turned this version of the cl am before. After working the threads a few times the cap works well. I am kind of confused on why there are threads on the end as the cap doesn't post. I think over all for the price of the kit it isn't too bad. Since she loves wood so much I skipped my normal CA finish and did a HUT friction polish and the 2 HUT wax bars after sanding it really well. Hopefully she will like the pen. I wish I could have made her a higher end kit, but I think this one being a slender style, she will enjoy it more. I know she will like that I didn't do the ca finish. Comments and suggestions appreciated.

clamfnt.jpg clamfnt2.jpg clamfnt3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

The grain structure on that piece of pine is great...very fitting for the hardware! Makes me want to go cut up that pile of old barn boards...maybe when it warms up a little more:wink:

Fit-n-finish look great! She'll love it!!!!

Scott (it's the gift that writes forever) B

ToddMR

Great job on the pen.

I am kind of confused on why there are threads on the end as the cap doesn't post.

Why doesn't the cap post? It should. I've made a few of these and the posting worked for me. Does the FP bottom out in the cap before the threads engage?

No the little rounded part on the bottom doesn't fit into the cap, or so I thought. It is getting caught on the tube inside a little bit, but if I barely wiggle it then it does work. Thanks for making me take another look at it.

Robert111

She'll love it. And I would never have thought that pine could look so nice. I believe you were right to use a more satin finish. All in all, this is going to be a pen she will enjoy immensely.

moke

Great job Todd, I am sure your aunt will be very proud to use your pen.

As just a side note, you might want to clean your lens on your camera, it has a smear on it. Cleaning it will greatly improve your photos.

Mark

That's a real beauty Todd. I'm certain your Aunt will love it. Great grain on the pine. Nicely Done my friend.

Top Bottom