Cholla Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from seawolf

seawolf

This is a Wallstreet ll pen I made for one of my bosses for Christmas.
It's Cholla cactus infilled with ultra fine green glitter.
Comments appreciated.
Mark

Attachments

• P122809112144.jpg
    P122809112144.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 322
  • P122809112207.jpg
    P122809112207.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 318
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chuybregts

When I used to live in Tucson we'd see tons of Cholla "bones" on our hikes. Nice use of the cholla + glitter.

Did you cast the cholla? or just used CA to stabilize/in fill?

David Keller

Nice pen. I love the look of cholla, and I wish someone with a source for it would post a sale in the classifieds.

myname1960

Nice pen. I love the look of cholla, and I wish someone with a source for it would post a sale in the classifieds.

Check pet stores. I have seen it there used for perches. Not sure how expensive it is tho. Probably more expensive that way but maybe a way to try it out and see if u like it. Just a thought.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
What a neat pen! I love the Cholla look. And I agree with Chris, I have seen it in pet stores in decorating materials for terrariums for reptiles as well as for bird perches.

cnirenberg

Check pet stores. I have seen it there used for perches. Not sure how expensive it is tho. Probably more expensive that way but maybe a way to try it out and see if u like it. Just a thought.

Pet Supermarket has small pieces by their hermit crab area. looks like 3/4" x4-5" for about $4 or so. They didn't have larger pieces in, but I figure if you are going to cast in resin, the tighter the diameter the better? Check you local pet stores for sure. By the way,
that pen came out terrific.

jleiwig

We have a guy here at a local flea market that imports tons of stuff from Arizona. I'd seen this stuff before in his shop, but never thought of making it into a pen! I'll have to visit him soon!

seawolf

Look for pieces that are between 5/8 and 3/4 diameter. Cut to length of tube plus 1/4. Take a piece of dowel rod about 6" long and cut a slot about 3/4 long in one end. Wrap a piece of 120 grit sand paper in the slot so it will just barely go in the center of the chola. Sand it out until the pen tube fits snugly then CA the tube in place. Sand the ends flush and infill the holes in layers (this helps to do away with voids) (damhikt) Place on lathe and turn to size with your favorite scary sharp tools. Finish seal and finish.
Mark

Top Bottom