Cholla cactus on Rhodium JR. Gent I

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gandsande

gandsande

This is a Piece of
[FONT=&quot]Cholla cactus and the filler is Old Coffee Grinds found laying around the Kitchen. ON a JR. Gent I Rhodium kit.

I used CA to harden the Cactus and then Stuffed the Cracks with Coffee grinds. there was a spot of the cavity that did not fill that was exposed in turning and it was showing Brass but i was able to hide under the Clip.

This took a a lot of CA and patients to not have the CA run all over the place. I think I burned about 6 hour of my life on this one but for a first time attempt I am happy with the results and have already been offered 120.00 for it just about 12 hours after completing.

Please provide suggestions on how to fill the cracks and other products to fill with that may be easier then stuffing and CA Glue.

Greg

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bruce119

Hey Greg

That looks pretty good :good:

There are a couple ways I do them. I think the best is to cut them just over the length of the tube. Ream the existing hole with a drill to a tight fit for your tube. Mite be a good idea to paint the tube then insert the tube and soak some thin CA in the voids to glue the tube inside the Cholla. Then take it to the lathe and turn it round to about 1/32-1/16 over size. That can be tricky but can be done then fill your voids. You can put in a mold and cast or fill with material and thin CA or I even mixed up epoxy with color pigment and packed it in the voids. Once cured then just a little way to go to final size and give a CA finish.

Another tip when drilling the inside of the cholla if it is a little fragile wrap some masking around the outside for support.

I hope I gave you some useful tips.

As you can see they are stunning when finished.

:biggrin: GOOD JOB :biggrin:

Smokey7385

Good stuff Bruce.

Where can a guy get a mess of cholla? I would like to try my hand at casting and filling with various material.

cwolfs69

the one that i have done so far, and by the way it sold very quickly on a elegant sierra, i glued to a tube the cast in PR with mica powder. i have no pressure pot yet (next week) so i was lucky with no discernable pull away. looked great and i plan to do a lot more after i get my pot.

TonyBal

the one that i have done so far, and by the way it sold very quickly on a elegant sierra, i glued to a tube the cast in PR with mica powder. i have no pressure pot yet (next week) so i was lucky with no discernable pull away. looked great and i plan to do a lot more after i get my pot.

That sentence taken out of context could really get you in trouble!!!:eek:

bruce119

Come on the POT just let's you get more creative :tongue:

As you work with it you will get faster. I filled and glued a WS II blank last night in an hour with Coffee for a member. I work it in stages. Also you can cut those pesky ca spot out and put grounds in with thin CA.

1. cut to length
2. drill out the tight pith void with the proper drill bit BY HAND.
3. Wrap the cactus with string or twine getting tighter and forcing the Cholla to make contact with the tube.
4. glue with drops of Medium CA sparingly
...dry over night
4b. remove the string and turn off some of the cactus carefully
5. sprinkle coffee grounds into a void (1/16" thick at most evenly)
6. use a toothpick to spread and press the grounds into the recesses in the voids (most likely your un covered area was from this or CA running into this nook)
7. drip thin CA on the grounds (only enough to wet the grounds and be careful not to cause splash or dispersion)
8. move to the next void and continue until you are finished with a first coat
9. the second coat is just thin CA
10. the final coat is to fill the rest of the void loosely and use thin CA to secure the grounds

cwolfs69

Come on the POT just let's you get more creative :tongue:

either way the pressure is on.

Top Bottom