cholla cactus

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jssmith3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jssmith3

this is a pen I just finished yesterday and I think I will keep it :).
Its Cholla cactus with copper flake inlay.
Have a great day.

Janet :)

2007924151639_P1001100.jpg

200792415172_P1001101.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

cool looking pen! did you consider the copper kit? might pick up on the flake inlay even more. If you get tired of keeping it, I'll be happy to keep it for a while[;)][:D].

Beautiful pen, and excellent execution. The only change I would suggest would be to change the choice of hardware, to either platinum, black titanium, chrome, or sterling silver. These would complement the copper. I'm afraid the copper hardware, if it were not an exact color match, would "cheapen" the pen's appearance.

jssmith3

Originally posted by LostintheWoods
<br />Beautiful pen, and excellent execution. The only change I would suggest would be to change the choice of hardware, to either platinum, black titanium, chrome, or sterling silver. These would complement the copper. I'm afraid the copper hardware, if it were not an exact color match, would "cheapen" the pen's appearance.
I actually tried all the kits you are recommending and it actually didn't look as good with them. I was thinking the same thing till I actually put the finished blank on each one. Didn't try the copper cause I didn't want to overwhelm the pen or take away from the blank i guess. I am always open to suggestions though, thank you.

Scott

Janet! This is wonderful! I love it! Did you have problems finding a cholla section that was small enough diameter to fit the pen body? I have some cholla skeletons laying around my place, but they all seemed too big to be of any use. Excellent choice of infill!

Scott.

jssmith3

Originally posted by Scott
<br />Janet! This is wonderful! I love it! Did you have problems finding a cholla section that was small enough diameter to fit the pen body? I have some cholla skeletons laying around my place, but they all seemed too big to be of any use. Excellent choice of infill!

Scott.
Hi Scott, I didn't have any problems at all. I live in a desert and cholla is here in the foothills.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Very nice looking cholla pen! I like it much better than the one I posted last year. I did mine with a Havana and black resin becase I did not have a piece small enough and you did it with a Sierra! Nice job!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I think it's very cool too. I'd love to know more about the copper flake and how you applied it. Top of the class and congrats on the cover shot[:D]

jssmith3

I am sorry for taking so long to answer your question Bob and skiprat. I purchased the copper flakes at Langell's art supply here in Albuquerque. Its in the metallic pigment section and is called "Sparkling Copper" Because its so light, I will put a coat of thin CA in the groove then the copper flakes, wait till it tried a little then fill the remainder of the space with gap filling CA glue. I never use accelerate at this point since I have found it will leave bubbles. I hope this helps and I would love to see pictures if you try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom