Chiyogami Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

A few recent pens,

In the pen makers world of trying to find new and unique materials for turning or casting I have become a huge fan of casted Japanese chiyogami paper.

A friend of mine, Marla Mills, casts these blanks. I have been so excited about these new designs, these are just a few of the pens I have been making.

557788_10151163392489792_1959493439_n.jpg

560905_10151107823534792_2091418565_n.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

Absolutely beautiful pieces of art !! Great job by both of you. Would love to have seen what the second pattern would have looked like with the gold Cambridge Kit.. Regards, Doc:)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Yowzer !!! that first one really jumps up and slaps you in the face, doesn't it? :eek::biggrin: I love it!!
I've always been a believer that you can't ( shouldn't ) mix a loud blank with a loud kit, unless they BOTH scream at you, and this one does!!!:biggrin: But you shouldn't have put the second pen in the same thread. On it's own it's perfect and would have stood a chance, but next to the Screamin' Diva Empress ( ? ) it pales into insignificance.. :wink: LOL

Last edited:
Yowzer !!! that first one really jumps up and slaps you in the face, doesn't it? :eek::biggrin: I love it!!
I've always been a believer that you can't ( shouldn't ) mix a loud blank with a loud kit, unless they BOTH scream at you, and this one does!!!:biggrin: But you shouldn't have put the second pen in the same thread. On it's own it's perfect and would have stood a chance, but next to the Screamin' Diva Empress ( ? ) it pales into insignificance.. :wink: LOL

Yeah, I have a tough time holding this one down, it jumps off the table and slaps me around... the abuse we take as pen makers, sheeeeezzz eh! :)

I know what you mean about loud blanks and bling, it's 99% of the time a No Win look, I had a feeling about this one though, sort of a Lilo waiting for an intervention thing... could happen, but too many Poperatzi around, so just go with it...some one has t love it, right? :)

PenPal

Jim,

I like your choice of friends Marla is a kind, thoughtful lady and Curly her best supporter and likewise mentor to many.

That second pen is the plain simple black dress means to a womans wardrobe in the way it opens a new vista to pen making, it is believable, unhindered,simply stated and outstanding.

Why is this so well to me the colour is enhanced by the choice of kit you see immediately a demure tasteful complete pen, no competition only smooth lines, flat out possibility to impress anyone impacting my sensibilities to an extent that pens rarely have.

The first pen is the sports car version using that lovely kit it revs to the red line with bling bling bling so it fulfills its purpose have a gaze at this pen.

So there is a place for both pens with the second one I am in awe of the presentation.

Kind regards Peter.

Crickett

A few recent pens,

In the pen makers world of trying to find new and unique materials for turning or casting I have become a huge fan of casted Japanese chiyogami paper.

A friend of mine, Marla Mills, casts these blanks. I have been so excited about these new designs, these are just a few of the pens I have been making.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting the pictures my friend! Don't forget to accept the compliment of the paper as your own choice in designs as you were the one who picked it out! Fantastic job!!! :)

Jim,

I like your choice of friends Marla is a kind, thoughtful lady and Curly her best supporter and likewise mentor to many.

That second pen is the plain simple black dress means to a womans wardrobe in the way it opens a new vista to pen making, it is believable, unhindered,simply stated and outstanding.

Why is this so well to me the colour is enhanced by the choice of kit you see immediately a demure tasteful complete pen, no competition only smooth lines, flat out possibility to impress anyone impacting my sensibilities to an extent that pens rarely have.

The first pen is the sports car version using that lovely kit it revs to the red line with bling bling bling so it fulfills its purpose have a gaze at this pen.

So there is a place for both pens with the second one I am in awe of the presentation.

Kind regards Peter.

Thank you Peter, I love your analogy.. The simple black dress.... perfect, that was so cool, Thank you!

sbell111

That is amazing! The pens are fantastic, but I can't imagine how a highly patterned paper like that would not show a seem unless the seem is cut into the design. What is the trick?

I think that what is going on is that she isn't using a simple butt joint for the seem but is instead cutting around the design and then overlapping the paper. If I am not mistaken, you can see this at the bottom end of the second pen. This method will have the effect of not making the seem very noticeable, especially when using paper that has a very busy pattern.

Last edited:

Crickett

I think that what is going on is that she isn't using a simple butt joint for the seem but is instead cutting around the design and then overlapping the paper. If I am not mistaken, you can see this at the bottom end of the second pen. This method will have the effect of not making the seem very noticeable, especially when using paper that has a very busy pattern.

Darn, and here I was going to tell you guys I'm just that good!! :wink::biggrin:
If you think I'm good at making the seams disappear, you should see how good I'm at getting the money in Curly's wallet to disappear!
:tongue:

Darn, and here I was going to tell you guys I'm just that good!! :wink::biggrin:
If you think I'm good at making the seams disappear, you should see how good I'm at getting the money in Curly's wallet to disappear!
:tongue:

LOL, That is Funny!

Top Bottom