Chittam American Smoketree Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it this A.M. It's Chittam American Smoketree Burl from Exotic Blanks on a Cambridge TiGold with silver accents Fountain Pen. I got this blank in my Christmas basket concocted by my son, David, and Dawn. I learned from the Exotics site and others that this particular burl is one of the rarest burls in the world. It is apparently indigenous to the Southeastern United States, grows in a handful of very small regions and is virtually unheard of outside North America. From what I have seen, it does have a rich amber color, fine grain and curly character to it. The pen looks better in person and is more amber colored than in the pictures. Anyway, had fun making it! Turned easily and was consistent in texture and density throughout the wood. Hope you like it. Comments welcome but most of all, thanks for looking. TGIF! Doc:)

Attachments

• Chittam American Smoketree Burl on Cambridge_2.jpg
    Chittam American Smoketree Burl on Cambridge_2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 609
  • Chittam American Smoketree Burl on Cambridge_1.jpg
    Chittam American Smoketree Burl on Cambridge_1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 329
  • Chittam American Smoketree Burl on Cambridge.jpg
    Chittam American Smoketree Burl on Cambridge.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

I have to ask the question Doc, did you like win a cambridge lottery and get a ton of kits or something? lol Just wondered. Anyways, back to the pen. It looks great as normal. You did a great fit & finish and that pen is really elegant looking. Keep up the good work.

propencity

Very nicely done, Doc. Looking at your other pens, you really have mastered the finishing aspect. Is this CA finish?

Beautiful pen.

David Keller

That's nice. I'm told by a friend that we've got a few of those trees around here, but I haven't been able to scout them for burls yet. You've done a nice job with that one.

ctubbs

Doc is back! I was wondering what ever happened to the early morning turner. Great job, Doc. Once again, beautiful timber on a great pen with impeccable finish and fit. Beautiful work and great pen. Congratulations.
Charels

wizard

I have to ask the question Doc, did you like win a cambridge lottery and get a ton of kits or something? lol Just wondered. Anyways, back to the pen. It looks great as normal. You did a great fit & finish and that pen is really elegant looking. Keep up the good work.

LOL!! Todd, No, not the lottery... but close...I got Ten Cambridge Hybrid Kits in my Christmas Basket. Five Rollerballs and Five Fountain Pens...That's a lot of "bling"..:rolleyes:. Thank you for the compliment! Regards, Doc:)

wizard

Very nicely done, Doc. Looking at your other pens, you really have mastered the finishing aspect. Is this CA finish?

Beautiful pen.

Mark, Thanks for the compliment! It is a CA finish. In the event you want to know my technique..After sanding down to 600 grit and cleaning dust with an alcohol pad, I used 6 coats of medium CA. Sanded again very lightly with 600 grit sandpaper to eliminate any ripples or high spots. I use sandpaper wet to prevent overheating. So I don't miss any ripples or high spots , I check by using a strong light reflecting off the blank surface. I then finish with MM (wet) from 1200 to 12000 grit followed by HUT plastic polish. Regards, Doc:)

wizard

Every bit as nice as I've come to expect. Probably cause of your vam.... Oh wait. That's right. We're done with that. My bad.:biggrin:

Allan, No we aren't:biggrin:. I misunderstood your comment on that previous post. I thought you were tired of seeing my pictures with a black "night" background. So I showed you the same pictures with a light "daytime" background. I wasn't referring to the vampire jokes. By the way, I have not made any silver bullet pens lately....or is that for werewolves..:wink:. Regards, Doc

Drstrangefart

Every bit as nice as I've come to expect. Probably cause of your vam.... Oh wait. That's right. We're done with that. My bad.:biggrin:

Allan, No we aren't:biggrin:. I misunderstood your comment on that previous post. I thought you were tired of seeing my pictures with a black "night" background. So I showed you the same pictures with a light "daytime" background. I wasn't referring to the vampire jokes. By the way, I have not made any silver bullet pens lately....or is that for werewolves..:wink:. Regards, Doc

Silver Bullet pens are indeed for werewolves, but werewolves don't make pens, so that would be purely ceremonial. Although, I'm having a bear of a time figuring out how I'm gonna hide all my blood if I ever bump in to you in person at a show or something.

Russianwolf

That's nice. I'm told by a friend that we've got a few of those trees around here, but I haven't been able to scout them for burls yet. You've done a nice job with that one.

my understanding is that these are root burls. formed due to the tree growing in limestone rock formations, thus the need for dynamite or hard labor to get them out and why they are hard to come by.

Eyeshooter

This may be my favorite of the pens you have posted. The turning and finish are exquisite and the combination of pen and blank says top notch all the way. Beautiful job, Doc.

Thanks for your finishing regimen. You've made me finally decide to try wet...

John

wizard

I just love this wood. I just picked up a few more lbs of it.

Robert, How did you end up getting that much of it??? From everything I've read, it is really !! rare. I also really like the wood...it seems to change color over time and the burl pattern is unique and like no other wood. Doc

Top Bottom