Chitswood Snakewood Emperor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wdcav1952

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
This pen has taken more than 6 weeks to complete. Finish is between satin and gloss Tung Oil. The finished tubes spent the night in the Tung Oil and then cured for a month before hand polishing and TSW application.

Thanks Darick for some great blanks!

2913_Black%20Titanium%20Snakewood%20Emperor%20Open.jpg

2006711325_Black%20Titanium%20Snakewood%20Emperor.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

Aren't we getting fancy----have to start calling you 'BIG MONEY' -- if you are going to keep making them high dollor pens---[:D]
Looks great from here.

LanceD

William, that is one wonderful looking pen and I especially like your finish on it. I've done a Jr. Gent with one of Daricks snakewood blank about eight weeks ago and have been using it daily since and still no cracks. Once again a beautiful pen.

Lance

PenWorks

Beautifull pen William [:)] For a momentI thought it was mine, but then I remembered,
mine has cracks in it, allready filled with red PMC clay[:D]
Really like the finish you put on the pen as well,

woodmarc

Beautiful pens. I really like that Snakewood, Gonna have to give it atry.

On soaking the tubes, did you just soak them or did you use vacuum to help the wood absord the tung oil?

Again, great wook

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by woodmarc
<br />Beautiful pens. I really like that Snakewood, Gonna have to give it atry.

On soaking the tubes, did you just soak them or did you use vacuum to help the wood absord the tung oil?

Again, great wook

Marc,

Thanks for the compliment. Since it is local to me (small gloat) I bought pure Tung Oil at Grizzly. I cut it a bit (not much on measuring when away from work!) with Mineral Spirits. I dropped the completely finished tubes into the Tung Oil and left them overnight. The container is covered, but no vacuum. The next day, I took them out and wiped them down well, and then let the Tung Oil cure for a month. After that, I just hand polished with a piece of fleece, then buffed 3 coats of TSW on as a protectant.

Remember heat is a HUGE enemy when working with snakewood. I got a small crack or two but filled them with a CA sanding slurry prior to the Tung Oil bath.

Retrospectively, I would recommend wiping out the inside of the tubes after taking the blanks out of the oil.

FWIW,

OSCAR15

AWESOME PEN William Awesome blanks CHIT !!
I hope your treatment keeps this fine pen from cracking. Every single snakewood I have done developed cracks later on... If this beatiful pen holds up, please consider posting your recipe! Once again awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom